Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-09-2022, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I actually bought a RobbMC during a group special here years ago, and before I could use it on a Pontiac my starter went out in my '67 Cutlass. That starter has been working fine in the Cutlass for a decade now.

Old 05-09-2022, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We can't seem to keep the gear intact. After a couple years of use the gear comes off the pinion and just free wheels. Sometimes it just stays in the flexplate after the engine starts and just rattles around.
If it didn't have the pinion support on the RobbMC starter the gear would shoot completely off the starter, LOL

This has happened with one of the cheaper mini starters as well, which doesn't have the pinion support. As a result the gear fell onto the ground and was laying under the car. Just got really lucky there. Dad was able to slide it back on and get the car to start one more time to drive home, but the gear fell off during the drive, so that was the end of that starter.

Robb uses a ball bearing with some sort of loctite to retain it, and after a while that just doesn't hold up. At least on our application with a large CI Pontiac that has a fair amount of compression that gets used about every weekend.

This is the second time we've sent the starter in for the pinion gear repair.

Other than that it's a great starter, and Robb is great to deal with.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 05-10-2022, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Although maybe not necessary, I've always believed it's best to change out the flexplate/flywheel with a new starter, as I believe they form wear in patterns together. I like Powermaster starters with neutral balanced ATI flexplates.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I am waiting on a starter rebuild now. IF that does not fix it or the flywheel is too badly damaged I will be replacing the flywheel. I am pretty sure I can get the trans out with only mild headache but if not I will just cut the floor where the trans bolt is and weld it back up because I am not gonna pull everything just for one or two bolts

Old 05-11-2022, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What starter?

I'll give a shout out to RobbMC, as I mentioned in post 22 the drive gear fell off again.

He got it Monday, already fixed it, and sent it back, and didn't charge a thing. It'll be here today. Been running this thing for a few years now and didn't expect a free repair.

Like I said, great guy to deal with

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 05-12-2022, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I have to change the flywheel. I have the centerforce and I need a neutral balance flywheel.

Old 05-12-2022, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Well I have to change the flywheel. I have the centerforce and I need a neutral balance flywheel.
Why not just change the ring gear? Way cheaper than replacing the entire flywheel...

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 05-12-2022, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its the centerforce external balanced. I need an internal balance

Old 05-12-2022, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Butler gave me and in depth explanation of why it was only grabbing the edge of the teeth. I ordered the Ram billet flywheel and will be putting a ring gear on this flywheel and selling it here. Its the Centerforce