Old 08-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question This carrier look OK?

I have been keeping my eyes open for a posi carrier for my 2:56 gears. Saw this add and and see the carrier# is ED32118. According to Wallace racing this would be the correct carrier for me.

My question is is there really any thing to look for to confirm its in decent shape?

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/pts/4614590625.html

http://www.wallaceracing.com/carrier-id.html

Old 08-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is this a clutch type unit? If so you need to check for clutch wear. Pretty much a given if it hasn't been rebuilt. Also check the gears for wear and chips. The easiest thing to see is where the pin goes through. The hole can wear oblong.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Senior Chief

Default carrier

I don't believe this is a factory BOP carrier, looks more like a 10 bolt Chevy.
BOP posi carriers are assembled in two halves and bolt together.

64 GTO convertible, gone but not forgotten
76 CB750K
72 CB350F

" why yes, I am old school, so what?"
Old 08-13-2014, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess the Wallace racing page doesn't say if its a BOP or Chevy but you bring up a good point. Does it matter? Will a Chevy carrier still fit in a BOP rear and will the axles work?

Since the pontiac has the bearing retainers and all others have the C-clips.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim Mitchke(sp) (monzaz on here) at JD Race will be able to assist you. Good guy to deal with and very knowledgable. i bought my 9.3" posi from him. Good dude.

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OEM usage Pontiac 8.2 carriers were cone type. All '64-65 usage 8.2 Pontiac carriers were 2 pinion cone. 4 pinion cone carrier was introduced for '66 models on low ratio Pontiac STT carriers, as the 2 pinion Pontiac 8.2 STT carriers were not holding up in performance applications. Have no idea what Buick was doing with posi's in '66 assembling their own division 8.2 housings, as have not had enough apart. From tearing down tons of 8.2 Pontiac rears, all high ratio (2.56-2.78) Pontiac Safe-T-Track carriers were of the 2 pinion cone design.

Carrier on CL ad is a chebby 8.2 c-clip axle piece. Pitch of axle spline is different between Chebby 8.2 & Pontiac 8.2 axles will not slide in the Chebby 8.2 side gears, so no easy swap...

Old 08-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you ol Pinion head. That is great info.

I was doing my best to read up on this info. I read about the axle tapper in one place and I found another that said the Pontiac axles would go into a Chevy carrier but not the other way around. Based on that statement alone I would't want to try it.

What I don't get is most of the sites I found online that break out the part#(ED32118 and ED32267) for the 2-series carriers don't say this is Chevy and this is BOP.

In the CL link I see that the carrier is ED32118 and you say its a Chevy. Is it an Eaton?

So does that make the part# ED32267 a BOP?

And is the