Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
to date it is my understanding that Edelbrock has discontinued them

Good ol' Edelbrock caring about us Pontiac racers again!!

GTO George

Old 10-27-2016, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post

GTO George
Maybe they wanted to give the other guys a chance to catch up! lol

Old 10-27-2016, 04:34 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Maybe they wanted to give the other guys a chance to catch up! lol
.........or maybe they just never cared about us Pontiac racers!

Quickest Pontiac.......Warp 6 heads
Quickest Pontiac bodied car.......RA5 headsm
Quickest Pontiac door car NA........Warp 6

Yep you're right everyone else has to catch up. LOL!

GTO George

Old 10-27-2016, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

GTO George
Maybe us Pontiac racers not caring about edelbrock. They stopped making them because they weren't selling any. Forget about making a small profit on them, they didn't come anywhere close to breaking even.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

GTO George
Performer RPM Edelbrock head, the most powerful Pontiac cylinder head in the universe!

Old 10-27-2016, 05:53 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Langer View Post
Maybe us Pontiac racers not caring about edelbrock. They stopped making them because they weren't selling any. Forget about making a small profit on them, they didn't come anywhere close to breaking even.
^^^^^^truth^^^^^^

Old 10-27-2016, 05:55 PM
Suspended

Don't forget about chief and the crowmod. It runs!

Quote:

GTO George

Old 10-27-2016, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Edelbrock made a huge mistake -- IMO , by not offering the head in a finished version, It didn't need to be a out of the box comp eliminator head - but a good head with maybe 440cfm intake that pulled hard on the track would have been killer.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:17 PM
Suspended

Curt you're right. It was a huge miss based on the market. The guys willing to carve out their own ports for a Pontiac are less than 10 units I'd guess. Marcella did a great job on his. If someone would have offered a good CNC program that offered a cost effective head then it could have worked. I think Edelbrock completely missed the market here.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I too was a bit puzzled with the pro-port offerings. It was just too raw for anyone other than a shop with 5-axis capability and a really good cylinder head guy to work with it. As is often the case in our tiny hobby, we are talking about 8-12 people in the country who have the knowledge, capability and interest in a project like that. So there they sat on the shelf for years, unsold. Edelbrock has wonderful casting capability, in house HIP processing and talented engineers like Rick Roberts who does genuinely like Pontiac engines. But as others have said, they missed the market in numerous ways. The heads were 6-10 years too late. The heads were too rough as sold. Other smaller producers stepped-up like All Pontiac and KRE, DCI and others to fill the void. The cost of designing and building your own billet heads is not as totally out of reach as it was 10 years ago when few 5 axis machines were out there. Kinda like "new Coke", it really missed the mark.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:43 PM
Suspended

Dude, your experience and feedback on this board means a lot. I appreciate you sharing your experience so we all can get better. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I too was a bit puzzled with the pro-port offerings. It was just too raw for anyone other than a shop with 5-axis capability and a really good cylinder head guy to work with it. As is often the case in our tiny hobby, we are talking about 8-12 people in the country who have the knowledge, capability and interest in a project like that. So there they sat on the shelf for years, unsold. Edelbrock has wonderful casting capability, in house HIP processing and talented engineers like Rick Roberts who does genuinely like Pontiac engines. But as others have said, they missed the market in numerous ways. The heads were 6-10 years too late. The heads were too rough as sold. Other smaller producers stepped-up like All Pontiac and KRE, DCI and others to fill the void. The cost of designing and building your own billet heads is not as totally out of reach as it was 10 years ago when few 5 axis machines were out there. Kinda like "new Coke", it really missed the mark.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Appreciate the kind words but I should say my post was just my opinion. Not based on experience with these heads. I looked them over carefully at PRI several times. I talked to Rick Roberts over a couple of years about what he expected the heads to do for the Pontiac world. He said he fully expected several Pontiac specialty shops with 5-axis capability to produce a variety of race ports for various applications. Then a customer would buy the heads and go to their favorite Pontiac builder that had the software for the port they wanted, and they would build a set of heads for them, kind of like the Chevy world. It just didn't happen for a variety of reasons, market saturation being a major reason. Again, just my opinion. Wonder how many sets they actually poured? Or sold?

Old 10-28-2016, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I spent allot of time doing R&D with that head and actually got some pretty good results without welding it. The only problem was that it wasn't any better than or as good as the Tigers. Edelbrock tried really hard to get my port configuration so they could duplicate it, but it didn't go anywhere. I had a nice bracket race version that flowed a little over 400 cfm with a 2.300 intake valve. The problem was for the amount of effort and expense to duplicate it for such a limited number of buyers it wasn't worth it. Like Mike stated it had to be cnc machined to reproduce it for a reasonable amount and even then it was outside of most guy's price range. Edelbrock is into the numbers not bragging rights. They can sell 300 times more of their RPM heads and not have the grief. They are smarter than me LOL. I want the biggest and baddest. They want to sell a 1,000 copies a year. I think they are on to something !!!!

330-628-3354 cell
Designer if the DCI Tiger Heads and the NEW DCI Ram Air 5 Heads !!!!!
Old 08-14-2017, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone have a set of the 11 deg heads they want to unload? Prefer new in the box but will consider all. What is out there?