Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-18-2014, 11:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default tri power questions

I'll start off by saying i have NO experience with tri powers with that said I came across a tri power intake today. I took a look at it and on the under side of the intake it looked like there was a nipple on it when I got home I started researching the casting numbers so I can at least decode it also I looked on ebay but none of them had this nipple in the pics that i seen. What is it used for? I didn't think about writing down the casting numbers because I was at work on a delivery and didn't have time time. The only thing I really looked at was the threads for the carb studs and none were stripped it also looked clean along where it mounts to the engine. I am going to buy it monday if everything checks out. Is there any casting numbers that I should avoid and are more sought after? There is a huge price difference on ebay for the intakes. This will go on a 69 428 by the way.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:35 PM

9778818 - 1965 (small center carb, large base outer carbs)

9782898 - 1966 (all 3 large-base carbs)

These are the only 2 Tri-Power intakes that are useable on '65 and later heads like your 1969 heads.

The earlier intakes sell for a lot less money, mainly because they don't fit the more popular and much more common '65 and later heads. All of the aftermarket aluminum heads are the later style too so only the '65 and '66 intakes will work. An aluminum reproduction of the '66 intake has been produced for a number of years, PY sells them along with some other vendors.

In this case the casting numbers are everything.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

from the research i have done the tri powers seem to flow 700-800 cfm is that accurate? also how much of a difference is it between the 2 intakes you mentioned if any? Thanks for the help

Old 09-19-2014, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You stated you have no experience with tri-power and I don't want to discourage you in any way. However, I have rebuilt, restored and raced dozens of them and you should be aware of a few things before you jump into building one. 1. They are really cool! 2. Nothing beats the sound of a tri-power under full power, it sounds like 2 Q-jets!. 3. It has tremendous street cred. at the cruise-in, car show. 4. Makes the owner look like some kind of induction guru because it looks so complicated. Now the down side. 1. Assuming the intake you found is the right style, it will be the least expensive part of the conversion. 2. Correct carburetors are getting scarce and expensive. Correct front and rear carbs are specific to tri-power, they have no choke system, no idle circuit and different throttle arms and fuel inlet locations. You can use any old 2-jet in all locations but it takes lots of work and doesn't look correct. 3. Fuel lines and air filters and linkages are available, but expensive. 4. Fuel leaks and potential fire issues need to be carefully monitored when first installed. Lots of potential leaks. 5. If your overall goal is improved performance over a Q-jet, you may be disappointed. A properly prepared Q-jet will run right with any tri-power and may slightly out perform it. I have done some back to back track tests over the years with tri-power and q-jet set-ups and they ran almost even, within a few tenths and 1 mph. No doubt, tri-power is really cool but be ready to spend considerable $$ to get it all together. My guess is 4-5 times the cost of a good Q-jet and intake. Best of luck with your project.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

$1500 is not unheard of for a complete set of carbs and linkages all done. I'm up over 2 grand due to mistakes made by not knowing they differ from chev carbs but picked up a true blue set from a 65 GTO for $750CDN. Now i have early and late intakes. They will look nice on a set of KRE d-ports. LOL Currently on my 64 GP

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Boost Engineer

I personally like Holleys. Over the years acquired a couple of sets of the Mopar 6-pack vacuum and mechanical opening carbs. In my case the BG 6 shooter intake was the big chunk of change for my product. Still even after the porting job on the intake I have less money in the system vs the Correct Rochester stuff due to how and when I bought the parts and being able to do my own calibrations. PLUS THERE WILL NOT BE ANOTHER PONTIAC TYPICALLY AT ANY CAR EVENT THAT LOOKS LIKE IT.

So do what YOU want to do on the deal, not what everyone else wants you to do.
Your money, your time, your car, BUT all of the advice given on this forum is good advice.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:42 AM

Does it look like this? 1960 and prior manifold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1960f.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	376679  

Old 09-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.pontiactripower.com

Old 09-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

If you have the bucks...the "cool" effect is worth it to have....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 09-20-2014, 01:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bertone yes it does have that nipple on the underside of the intake. I'm assuming thats for some kind of vacuum to the carbs? After the information I got about the casting numbers i know what to look for (if all intakes prior to 1960 had those nipples on them then that made my decision for me and i won't get it) I had the intention of picking up the intake the price was right and I know I'd spend some money on getting the correct carbs and linkage and whatever else I'd but i have been doing a lot of reading up on them and from what I take of it the front and rear carbs not having a idle circuit or choke makes it easier to set then what I was expecting. I thought if nothing else for what the guy wants to sell it for if I can't find the right stuff I could at least get my money back out of it so no real loss.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Boost Engineer

Demand for a Pre-1960 intake is pretty low.

Looks like a $15.00 intake to me.

There are a lot of 65 and 66 Cast Iron Tri-Power Intakes still out there (I see them advertised occasionally on the forum here).

A 65 or 66 intake will fit your 1969 engine, nothing else (Offy Edelbrock, etc) without a bunch of extra fabrication.

Tom V

ps Good luck with your engine.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That "nipple" is the intake for the air to be heated and sent to heat the choke coil. Used on 60 and earlier. Later took filtered air from the top of the air horn on the center carb.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This link may help you identify these in the future:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Tripowerspecs.htm

As others have mentioned, the only factory tripower manifolds which fit your 1969 heads would be the 1965 and 1966.

As far as value on the older tripower manifolds is concerned, there is still some demand for the 1957 and 1958 for the restorers.

Opinion, but I believe the 1960 manifold to be the most common of the Pontiac tripower manifolds, therefore probably worth the least.

Pfilean nailed the application for the nipple. There is a steel tube (most of which are now burned /rusted out and must be driven out and replaced) pressed through the heat crossover. Originally, there was a twisted ribbon of steel that was inserted through the tube to control the velocity of the air going through the tube, but they are generally rusted completely gone by now.

If the tube is rusted through, failure to replace the tube will allow raw exhaust to enter the carburetor choke housing, very quickly causing the choke to fail.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've got all of these links bookmarked and read all of them so at least I'm getting good info and a little bit of knowledge. If that nipple is a tell tell sign its a pre 60 intake I won't get it. I have been looking for a set of carbs and the only thing I see is 1 auction on ebay now. It would have been cool to have but I gotta pass. Thanks for the input everyone.