Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 09-28-2015, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
"...He needs a street 350 that is a good runner, and it's more easily accomplished with a 9:1 350 instead of an 8:1 350..."

Of course, this conversation usually progresses to "You'd be a lot better off using a 455 or a 400 block stroker, instead of the 350. Everybody nowadays seems to want 400 + HP minimum--some much more. So, I reckin it all depends on what you want and have the funds to pay for. I'll stop now.

As someone who HAS built a fairly radical 350, I can speak from experience that more horsepower for less money is available from a 400 EVEN IF SOMEONE GIVES YOU A 350 TO BUILD!

I had a specific reason for building a 350, and not sorry I did, but the cost is MUCH greater, even for a standard rebuild, than for a 400.

And while some of the youngsters on this forum may not believe it; it is possible to build TOO MUCH horsepower for a street daily driver!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:54 PM

well that escalated quickly. basically to clear it all up the car wont be a daily driver, and im looking for 300-350hp. now having said that i have come across a 400 block for cheap, so i do have that option. i just didnt think it would cost a whole lot to get this engine to that hp range, i will not be using any emissions equipment so that should help.

if i were to take the 400 route what from the 350 could be used? im not going to scrap the 350, im sure somewhere down the road it will come in handy but if i can build the 400 for less and save a few bucks on parts i wouldnt mind. the 400 block ive found the guy is asking i think it was either 125 or 150, i believe that was just the block itself, im sure i could have him throw in a few other pieces for quite cheap.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd go with the 400 block UNLESS it's casting number ends with 557. Many say these blocks are good to 400hp-some even more. But MANY have failed. Why even take a chance, unless you are doing a matching number resto ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	557 Block.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	409244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broke 557 Block.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	409245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Casting Number 500557.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	409246  

Old 09-28-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
I'd go with the 400 block UNLESS it's casting number ends with 557. Many say these blocks are good to 400hp-some even more. But MANY have failed. Why even take a chance, unless you are doing a matching number resto ?
alright im having him send me the code just to be safe but hes going to sell me the block for 100$. so obviously everything on the outside of the engine(the 350) can be used on the 400, but internally what would i need?