Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 09-02-2022, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekuhn View Post
The jets in my carbs do not follow the standard naming convention with the last 2 digits being the opening size. Does anyone know where to find a chart showing the size of these jets?

#120-166 Primary
#120-222 Secondary

The metering rods are #16-82X and measure .060 and .067, although there is some variation in them.

Thank you!
You might want to PM 61-63. Also the carburetorshop.com in MO. They have a wealth of knowledge on genuine Carter carbs. Warning: They seem to HATE the Edelbrock knock off carburetors probably for good reason. They want nothing to do with them.

Old 09-02-2022, 03:27 PM
Senior Chief

I finally found a chart online. Thanks for the suggestions.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/carter-jet-conversion

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 10-21-2022, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Little update on new bathtub intake for street use. I now have the engine in the car and have driven it about 100 miles. The little issue between 35-50 MPH, light throttle was an eye opening experience. After 5-6 hours of tuning and tweaking the carbs, I could get it better but still didn't run and feel just right. What could be wrong with the carburetors and intake? NOTHING AT ALL as it turns out. In desperation I started thinking, "what was different in the car than on the dyno" Pulled out the timing light and started tracking the timing. At light throttle, high vacuum where the problem was happening, the timing was almost 50 degrees BTDC! I unhooked the vacuum hose, plugged it and went for a drive. Ran much better, but rich from all my carb changes. Took off the dist cap which was plenty difficult and found my vacuum limit tab I put on had come off and was laying in the dist body allowing a full 20 degrees of vac advance. I had it limited to 10. I brazed the tab back on and now total timing is right at 40 degrees BTDC with vacuum, mechanical and initial at 2000-2600 RPM light throttle. Now engine runs great after returning the jetting to the dyno best tune. This manifold runs great on the street, idles really smooth and has excellent throttle response. Now I just need some room under the hood to get some air into them! Hood scoop coming soon. BTW, this set-up won't win an economy run. I used 20 gallons of gas on the dyno and I doubt it's getting 10 MPG in the car. It is getting way more than 10 SMILES per gallon though.

Last edited by mgarblik; 10-21-2022 at 07:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have the linkage solid?Tom

Old 10-21-2022, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, it is not progressive. I ran it a little on the dyno progressive and it didn't act well. Not to say it wouldn't be fine in the car. I am pretty darn happy now. Had a complete exhaust system made today, which is why I can drive it more now. Sounds great and it's surprisingly quiet. Just a slight drone at around 40-45 MPH. Gone at 50+. Need that hood scoop so I can wring it out a couple times.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,PLEASE disc the front carb and run on the primary of the rear carb and drive it!My 428 likes it a LOT!I always set up solid for racing but NEVER set up solid for street driving on ANY 2-4 pontiac since 1963!Tom

Old 10-21-2022, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Easy enough to do. I will try it and see how it behaves on the street. Weather is getting a little sketchy now in OH. But I will try sometime when I can. About what opening point do you like the carb to begin operating?

Old 10-21-2022, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Because I have a very lowTQ rated ST-10 I never have the front carb go full tilt,I have it set that the front one will go about 1/2 throttle when the rear is full tilt.3.42 ST10 with 2.68s in the back.I just dont want to break the trans.It will drive in 4th at 1500 and never lug,just roll into it.John was amazed when he drove it after his tripower 64 2plus2. Tom