Old 10-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to crider
Default taillight panel

I was just wondering, has anyone here tried one of the repop rear panels for the 70-73 birds? If so what kind of quality and fit did you get with it. The one on my 71 is way rough and I'm getting close to time for paint.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by crider
I was just wondering, has anyone here tried one of the repop rear panels for the 70-73 birds? If so what kind of quality and fit did you get with it. The one on my 71 is way rough and I'm getting close to time for paint.
where is there one for sale?? I would love to see a FIREBIRD panel.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think he is talking about the fiberglass rear panel that the parts place makes. They had it on sale for 99 about 6 months ago and I looked at one and was not impressed. I would not put one on my car. You would have to cut out the plastic where the license plate light is because its solid there.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn, had me there for a min, guess I just want too much!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Senior Chief

yea i was talking about the outer panel. I went through the same thing trying to find a nice replacement for the metal part. I was afraid that the repop would be bad for the outer too.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 AM

I just bought one at the end of July from Ames. When I called them on it they said it was the fiberglass repo, but when I got it it was the parts place plastic piece. It would work if you could not find a fiberglass one but I sold mine at a loss just to get rid of it and found a NOS replacement. Much happier with the NOS than the repo one.
The fiberglass ones are still out there just getting real hard to find.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought one of those fiberglass repros from Year One several years ago. I don't remember if it has the cutout for the license plate light but I was not impressed either. I was more concerned about the trunk key hole that looked like they just drilled a hole in the panel and didn't have the "well" that the original plastic one had. However, it is fiberglass, so with some fiberglass work, I could probably have made it acceptable. I decided to spend the time fixing my original.
FYI, I had to do alot of work on my fiberglass front valance repro but it turned out great.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" RUSH (Freewill)
Old 10-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I'll either have to try to find a good original or fix my old one. I had to look to long and pay to much to get a nice inner panel to start cutting corners now. Any body have a good used one they are willing to part with?