Old 05-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont think that skin is too bad. My driver's side door was horrible with about a hundred dent puller holes all the way down the side from sideswiping something. I found an NOS door skin on ebay a year ago that was near my house in Jersey and picked it myself. I think you can salvage that one without a ton of labor.

(by the way that is not the correct master cylinder for a 72 - you need the one with the two bleeders on it) Here's a photo of mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radinstall1.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	133249  

Old 05-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

repro skins are not very good. the corner peak above the handle is the wrong contour, the skin itself is much thinner gauge metal and the handle pocket is a very "soft" punch out, nowhere near as crisp or correct depth as the original. I have two repop door skins--currently being used as patch panel metal for a 1962 MGA. amazing how nicely they work for lower fender and rear body patches. )) i decided to salvage the used doors i have. if your side and lower skin edges aren't rusted out, try to save them. it is tough because of the side impact beam. on yours, you just have to watch out for length because that door definitely was involved in a front end hit, it may have crumpled back somewhat. it'll be tough to massage and stretch it back to shape, but with the right spoons (long, thin curved) being worked from behind the beam, it is savable. basically a two man job, one for the hammer, the other for the spoon.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Senior Chief

I’ve welded in over 20 holes from some old dent puller work and I think it will take too much filler to fix! But I will try to bump out the dents. Thanks on the heads-up on the repro door skins I would love to find a nos right side door skin! As for the master cylinder if that is the case I will have to get the correct one! Thanks
Pat

Old 05-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

just for future reference, if you've got dent puller holes in areas where you can't grind the mig fill smooth on the backside, do your hammer and dolly work before filling them. the mig piles will prevent you from using a dolly or spoon. you may be able to pry against the skin and beam to help push that front section out some. that beam is why so many doors have been drilled out, back in the 70s to early80s not many shops had the weld on stud puller setups. three of the four doors i have have runs of holes right down the peak. lousy drivers!

Old 05-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

just wanted to thank Pat for the tip on the Snap-On Crud Thug undercoating removal tool on page 2 of this post. I did a search for one as I'm in the middle of the floors on mine and trudging thru slowly as always with the 4.5" braided wire wheels. I found the Crud Thugs are $400 from Snap-On for the air tool and wire wheel kit which was little over what I could justify so I found another brand identical to it and thought I'd post in case anyone else wants to use one on their underbody resto. It's made by Dynabrade and they call it a Dyna zip, it's a very close copy of the Crug Thug in my opinion. I got it on Amazon.com with a one time discount for $225 shipping included so not too bad considering how it flies thru the undercoating. Here's a pic as well, thanks again for the good info as this undercoating removal is one of the hardest/nastiest parts of the resto for sure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dy****p.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	133625  

Last edited by RicksGTO; 05-24-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksGTO
just wanted to thank Pat for the tip on the Snap-On Crud Thug undercoating removal tool on page 2 of this post. I did a search for one as I'm in the middle of the floors on mine and trudging thru slowly as always with the 4.5" braided wire wheels. I found the Crud Thugs are $400 from Snap-On for the air tool and wire wheel kit which was little over what I could justify so I found another brand identical to it and thought I'd post in case anyone else wants to use one on their underbody resto. It's made by Dynabrade and they call it a Dyna zip, it's a very close copy of the Crug Thug in my opinion. I got it on Amazon.com with a one time discount for $225 shipping included so not too bad considering how it flies thru the undercoating. Here's a pic as well, thanks again for the good info as this undercoating removal is one of the hardest/nastiest parts of the resto for sure.
Rick,
Good to hear one of my posts help some one! Glad I could contribute as I have used others suggestion & information posted on this great forum. Thanks!
Pat

Old 05-25-2008, 06:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepat

Big thumbs up to Bill in TN for the awesome restoration job he did on my brake booster & master cylinder. Thank you!

Pat- I thought I told you the master cylinder and teh MC cap were not original?? Unless you are doing a concoures resto I wouldn't worry. Email me if you need teh correct master.I have a couple left. I know the 1970/71 models used a "EB" stamping, not sure if that same stamping carried over on teh 1972 models, probably did though.. And yes, that booster does look nice, Cadmium just has a softer sheen vs teh Zinc done boosters. Plus it is correct all the way up to 72 model cars.. Email me if you want to replace the booster. Personally I wouldn't worry unless,as I stated, youu are building a show car.. But I do have a few..
Bill

Old 05-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The only difference is that the early 70's cars have the two bleeder screws above the ports. The later cars (74 and up maybe?) had the non-bleeder master cylinders. I don't recall which code is stamped on the front. The replacement part from GM was the non-bleeder unit, as well. Either way, the resto work does look great!

Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Senior Chief

Bill,
I would like this car to look as visibly original as possible! But no I’m not doing a concourse restoration. I think I have a line on the correct master cylinder, if not I’ll buy one of yours. Thanks for the follow up!
Pat

Old 05-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The casting part number is 5470409. Here is an example on epay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-79...QQcmdZViewItem
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mastcyl1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	133775   Click image for larger version

Name:	mastcyl2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	133776   Click image for larger version

Name:	mastcyl3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	133777  

Old 05-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That casting number is only 1/2 of the equation.They used that number on Firebirds, Station Wagons and Pick Up's. SO getting a Master with just the casting number will look ok, but its not the correct one. Inside, the promary metering piston needs to have the six grooves which has different metering ports than others.This is the piston that controls the front disc brakes.These have three holes whereas I have seen 5 or 7 holes on "generic" casting numbers. Basically differences in pedal feel and quickness of front brake reaction time.
Pat, glad you found an "EB"Master Cylinder. I only had one extra, it is sold now to someone else.. Good luck with your hunt finding the correct one.. Bill

Old 06-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great looking TA. I have a 72 Formula with same color scheme Lucerne Blue w/ blue custom interior.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Senior Chief

I’m restoring the heat/air box (under the dash) and most of the foam gaskets inside have disintegrated! 1st question is there replacement gaskets, if so who sells them? Or I could use some picture of the gaskets so I can make my own!
Thanks!
Pat

Old 07-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Senior Chief

Here are some pictures where the foam gaskets go just don't know the size!
Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trans Am restoration 172.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	135480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trans Am restoration 176.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	135481  

Old 10-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Senior Chief

Drop the T/A off at the paint shop and hope to get it back in 4 weeks??
Pat

Old 10-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It looks great and the panel fit is very nice, looks like you painted the jambs already as well. You've done so much of the prep I can see where you might get it back that quickly. The painter I'm going to use has gone from quoting how many people are on the waiting list, to calling to see if people can bring their cars in so maybe with the economy slowing they are all catching up on the waiting lists and the work is getting done faster than when they were swamped. Congrats on all the nice work you've done on that car in such a short time.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ditto what Rick said, Pat.

Just think, in four weeks (hopefully) you can start re-assembly!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 11-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Senior Chief

Rick & Lloyd, Thanks!

My painter called, and my small parts are painted and I can pick them up monday! And he should have the car ready for paint buy the end of the week!
Pat

Old 11-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepat View Post
Rick,
Good to hear one of my posts help some one! Glad I could contribute as I have used others suggestion & information posted on this great forum. Thanks!
Pat
It saved me as well........thanks...........

Old 11-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70RAlll View Post
Pat- I thought I told you the master cylinder and teh MC cap were not original?? Unless you are doing a concoures resto I wouldn't worry. Email me if you need teh correct master.I have a couple left. I know the 1970/71 models used a "EB" stamping, not sure if that same stamping carried over on teh 1972 models, probably did though.. And yes, that booster does look nice, Cadmium just has a softer sheen vs teh Zinc done boosters. Plus it is correct all the way up to 72 model cars.. Email me if you want to replace the booster. Personally I wouldn't worry unless,as I stated, youu are building a show car.. But I do have a few..
Bill
Pat, In the picture (post #67) with the light behind the pass rear wheel who makes that and where did you get it.

Thanks