THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default A Farewell to Things

A lot of people don't know that Rush really got their start in St.Catharines, Ontario. Hell, my friend and I went over to see them at Laura Secord High School. And that was after Caress of Steel was out. Then leaning on the stage in North Bay as they got bigger and then in Edmonton when the world realized their talent. 3 guys.
I believe that throughout their careers they've always been a class act. Third only to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones in real music sales (not some Glee download). They were huge stars, playing to massive crowds in unlikely places like Brazil. They faced many challenges, especially when Neil's young daughter died in a car wreck. Then his wife died of cancer right after. But they stuck together and continued to give their legions of fans what they wanted until they could bow out gracefully. I'll definitely miss them and wish that I had seen them one last time.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nicely put. The quintessential progressive rock band!

Old 01-23-2018, 02:10 PM

67 lemans custom
Old 01-23-2018, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny, I was just looking at this clip yesterday!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qezwXjFpW-g&t=50s

Mike

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool. I went to Lakeport Secondary School. The first school I ever went to that had a school jacket. Like a bomber jacket. It was, dare I say, a US influenced style school with the good football and better cheerleaders. Good times. The two countries are very intertwined down there.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qezwXjFpW-g&t=50s

Mike
If you pick it up at about 20 minutes in, you can see this kid of a guitar player being a young prodigy. Love those leads.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I saw them in 1977 in Indianapolis, it still ranks as the best concert I've ever seen. We burnt up (along with some "other" stuff) 2112 on our 8-tracks, then cassettes, and then CDs.

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 01-23-2018, 06:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Heard Moving Pictures when I was 8. A song about a car?? I was hooked. And that drummer???? Made it my mission to buy the rest of the albums, learn the lyrics, learn the drum parts and from that day forward, this band, these 3 guys, unbeknownst to them, have been a part of everything significant in my life. Sounds crazy to say about an entity youve never met, but when music not only speaks to you, but represents who you feel you are, what youre going through, especially in early adolescence, it has a way of staying with you.

An inspirational and a class act indeed.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
Old 01-23-2018, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rush has a special place in my life, my ex-wife liked me because I looked like Geddy Lee (still do to a degree) and played guitar\bass in college. We all knew the end was coming, they've been around for over 4 decades and that's ancient in the rock world (unless you're the Rolling Stones). Glad they got to go out on their own terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
This is awesome. Just seeing them so young and making their drummer be the front man interacting with the crowd is such a drastic change from their superstar nature that they acquired just a few years later. Listening to some of the songs you can see the basics for several of the songs from their next album Fly By Night (with different drumming and lyrics obviously).

Old 01-23-2018, 06:46 PM

I grew up in Buffalo, NY and saw Rush at least 4 times at the Buffalo AUD in the 80's. I also saw Triumph a few times there also.
One of my classmates introduced me to them who is now a bass player for the goo goo dolls Robbie T!
Great music!

Old 01-23-2018, 09:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Great video. I have been a big fan of Rush since like '76 when I was in high school. A good friend had 2112 on 8-track and he cranked it on the Craig/Pioneer deck in his '69 Firebird Sprint. Pontiacs and Rush. Cant beat that. Saw my first lazer light show when they played the old Cleveland Coliseum on July 6 1984 during the Grace Under Pressure tour. Still got my ticket stub from 33+ years ago. Wow time does fly by. They have lasted longer than about all the bands and out lived a lot of them. Was glad to see Rush get the recognition they deserved/earned after finally getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I still listen to Rush today but its on my MP3 player instead of LP's which I still have too. Ride like the wind guys. Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1210[1].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	473477  

Old 01-23-2018, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of my favorite bands...

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 01-23-2018, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Netflix documentary doesn't suck, provides a full sweep on RUSH members in Elementary school and onward

Old 01-24-2018, 11:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Saw the R40 tour last year in Dallas and they f'n rocked. Sounded like they hadn't missed a single beat. Have been a huge fan since 1980 when Permanent Waves was released. Nearly wore out that LP... Wish I saw them more often when I had the chance.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 01-24-2018, 12:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I first got into Rush back in 1982 when I was a freshmen in high school. Back then Rush was huge, everyone walking around with Rush concert shirts or album covers airbrushed on the back of denim jackets. I've been a fan ever since and listen to their music all the time. It's one of the only bands that when I here a particular song it brings back specific memories in my life. Without a doubt one of the greatest bands ever with a totally unique sound that still sounds progressive even today.