Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 07-23-2005, 07:29 PM

I need to redo the front end of my '67 GTO. I think it's all original except maybe the shocks. My question is, can I get by with just a bushing kit or should I get the "full meal deal" with tie rods,ball joints, etc.? Is there any danger in reusing the original tie rods and ball joints ? I plan on replacing the shocks and springs as well. Money is the deciding factor here. The bushings set is around $100 and full kit about $350. Any ideas ?

Thanks,

ER

Old 07-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Simple answer - get the whole kit. If the parts on that car are original you're talking almost 40 years old.

Look at it this way. Which is more costly, the extra $250 for the whole kit, or your insurance deductable?

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 07-24-2005, 05:30 PM

Thanks PMDRACER, that's what I was afraid of. Oh well, It'll just be a little longer before it gets done. I'm going to have the wife read your response and maybe It'll happen a little sooner

ER

Old 07-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One more thing. Make sure you get Made In USA parts - TRW, Spicer and MOOG.

I bought a kit about 5 years ago from PST and put it on the car. 18 months or so later I was coming home from work on Friday on the freeway and something felt wrong. Spent Saturday trying figure it out. Monday morning I was backing out of my driveway and then all of a sudden I heard BAM! and the suspension collapsed. The drivers side upper ball joint came apart. Pulled the stud right out.

Then while doing the rebuild all over again, the threaded part of both outer tie-rod ends above the cotter pin hole broke off.

PST refused to honor any part of their warranty and all the parts were marked with "Made in China".

Never again.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 07-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ditto to PMDRacer... again

Have noted this before. Will not use PST as suspension parts supplier. Have sent two customer ordered "kits" back, don't need Chinese balljoints. When one can buy Moog at decent price, why settle for inferior parts?

Old 07-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ditto to PMDRacer... again </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I know I've told the same story on this board at least 10 times, but I will never forget the cold sweat when the front end came crashing down after the ball joint failure.

I got lucky twice.

First, that Friday I was in a hurry on my way home from work and was doing well over the speed limit at 11:30 PM. I only live 1/2 mile from the freeway.
Second, the front tire fell inward. If it would have gone outward I'm sure there would have been plenty of damage to the bodywork.

Old 07-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I keep telling people to suport their local auto part store and at least you get to see what you are getting before you buy that taiwan or china junk even some NAPA stuff is bad I just looked at their upper ball joint and the one they gave me had huge bolt holes and smaller than stock bolts and they were metric those small bolts could have pulled through the holes, even some moog stuff is now made in china or Turkey even.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PSC seems to be recommended from a number of members, do they sell US made or "dang ferin" stuff?

Old 08-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had great luck with PST but that was 10 years ago. IIRC They marketed thier Items at that time as MADE IN THE USA. Everything went in Flawless and worked great. Im glad to know not to use or reccomend them to anyone anymore. I guess hotchkiss or
Global west is the way to go. Im glad I ordered my Boxed rear suspension kit and sway bars from Hotckis this time. I wish my wifes uncle would get off his ass and put them in.

Old 08-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought the complete kit from www.performancesuspension.com the bushings were the Energy Suspension Brand and I cannot remember the brand on the ball joints and tie rods but I believe they were made in the USA. All of the parts fit perfectly and so far I have had no issues.

Bob

Old 08-04-2005, 09:34 PM

but you also have to remember we import lots of steel from those so called "ferin" countries. wonder what it all goes into :rollseyes: (this change is wierd)

Old 08-15-2005, 04:56 PM

Anyone else purchased a kit from "Performance suspension" and get positive results? Can't find anything stating whether the kit is US made or not but they do state a lifetime warranty.

I see a few Purchased from PST with bad experiences so I will step away from there.

Any further input would be appreciated please.

Old 08-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Senior Chief

It says "Made in the USA" on their site. I'm curious too if anyone else has had good results from them? Spicer looks like a nice brand too. I don't see any kits offered on their website though. Anybody have a suggestion of which one to buy and where to buy it? I would appreciate any help.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:21 PM

I just replaced all of my front steering parts with Spicer, and the quality and fit is excellent (no more dog-tracking). I have a complete energy suspension kit that I'll install over the winter, and change my coils with Moog's at the same time.

I have only two pieces of Taiwanese steel in my car, and I regret it already. These are the rear quarters that I ordered through NAPA. You can lean over those front fenders anytime, but the moment someone comes near those rear quarters, they just want to buckle...when I tear her apart again in 10 years, I'll be looking for North American steel quarters.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacpete
Anyone else purchased a kit from "Performance suspension" and get positive results? Can't find anything stating whether the kit is US made or not but they do state a lifetime warranty.

I see a few Purchased from PST with bad experiences so I will step away from there.

Any further input would be appreciated please.

I purchased the PST "polygraphite" full front end kit. I don't have a lot of miles on my car, maybe a 1000 or so. No issues at all.

Brad

Old 08-29-2005, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

im about to have all ball joints and center link done, im glad ir ead this thread....

Im pissed that i have to do unsexy ball joints and centerlink, but its a nessassity.
no cheap parts for me..thanks!!

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 08-31-2005, 08:34 PM

In my 70 firebird I had a complete front end kit from PST and didn't have any issues however I did not put many miles on the car before I got rid of it and bought my 73 bird that I am going to rebuild. It needs a complete front rebuild and now after reading this post I am going to rethink actually using PST. I'm currently looking at performance suspension and am confused to see the $60 price difference between the same year camaro kit and the firebird kit??? I thought the chassis on these cars were the same for the most part. Any input on that.