Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 07-14-2005, 03:55 PM

I am restoring a 1966 GTO sedan. In rebuilding the brakes I see that I am missing parts. The duo-servo delco-morraine system is missing the guide shoe on the front and rear brakes. Just to clarify this part hangs on the anchor pin at the top of the brake backing plate. It has two small tangs that the brake shoe spings and adjuster retainer link attach to. Have checked local parts stores and all the usual catalogs. No go. Where can I obtain them?

Old 07-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Senior Chief

the rear guide plate (part# 5460399) is still listed new thru GM, and comes as a pair.

the front plate (part# 5462598) is not listed new, but the # is the same for all midsize front drum, at least 63-70, and Abody 71-72. Maybe a dealer has them on a back shelf somewhere...

I'm not sure what the difference is between front and rear, so you might be able to get the rear to work on the front if it's the right thickness and the hole is, or can be made to be, the right diameter (i've resorted to worse)...
but i'm sure someone here, or a salvage yard, would have the correct parts.

ps, the rear guide is listed for all midsize 61-72, and front and rear for Xbody, 71-72 at least.
group 5.045 http://www.1968firebird.org/number/abw/abw1.html

Old 07-21-2005, 09:42 AM
On Vacation

Are these for drum brakes? If so, shot me an email and I sell you my all my drum parts for dirt dirt cheap. I have a complete 4 wheel drum brakes I will not be using.

Old 07-22-2005, 05:04 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathaniel:
Are these for drum brakes? If so, shot me an email and I sell you my all my drum parts for dirt dirt cheap. I have a complete 4 wheel drum brakes I will not be using. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nathaniel: My email address is astimegoesby@peoplepc.com
Many thanks

Old 07-23-2005, 04:13 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scottk:
the rear guide plate (part# 5460399) is still listed new thru GM, and comes as a pair.

the front plate (part# 5462598) is not listed new, but the # is the same for all midsize front drum, at least 63-70, and Abody 71-72. Maybe a dealer has them on a back shelf somewhere...

I'm not sure what the difference is between front and rear, so you might be able to get the rear to work on the front if it's the right thickness and the hole is, or can be made to be, the right diameter (i've resorted to worse)...
but i'm sure someone here, or a salvage yard, would have the correct parts.

ps, the rear guide is listed for all midsize 61-72, and front and rear for Xbody, 71-72 at least.
group 5.045 http://www.1968firebird.org/number/abw/abw1.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
thanks for the info senior chief

Old 07-23-2005, 08:58 PM

Just resolved the same issue. The guide plate for the front 66 drum set-up is not the same part as the rears. The fronts have an oval hole to fit over the bolt/round fitting. The part actually resembles rams horns on the ends where the springs attach. There also is a small stamping that is installed after the guide plate is in place that you bend over the tang to hold the bolt in. It has a small slot on the bottom end that fits over the wheel cylinder boss. I am going to have new ones made at my work from originals I obtained. I will try to send some pics. tomorrow refering to what I am describing.

Old 07-24-2005, 03:57 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe:
Just resolved the same issue. The guide plate for the front 66 drum set-up is not the same part as the rears. The fronts have an oval hole to fit over the bolt/round fitting. The part actually resembles rams horns on the ends where the springs attach. There also is a small stamping that is installed after the guide plate is in place that you bend over the tang to hold the bolt in. It has a small slot on the bottom end that fits over the wheel cylinder boss. I am going to have new ones made at my work from originals I obtained. I will try to send some pics. tomorrow refering to what I am describing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
thanks for the reply and the info Joe. If your fabricated parts come out, let me know. Maybe your shop could sell me a set as well?
Mike

Old 07-26-2005, 03:38 PM

Mike,
A little behind on getting the part made. However... When I get them done (hopefully) in the next week I will have them make an additional set.(the small retainer/wheel cylinder stampings). I will send you a pair. The stamping does not show up in any 66 GTO books I have on restorations but from the original front end assy's (brake drum) I got, these little pcs. make sense to retain everything. Please forward your E-mail address.
Regards.
Joe

Old 07-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Senior Chief

far out.
it's been so long since i saw that type i forgot about them. The return springs actually hook to that plate instead of around the shoe anchor, right?
i should be doing a conversion on my bird soon. i think it has that type, and i wont need them. they're probably pretty worn though. if i recall, that type sometimes had a problem (maybe it was just me) with the 'horns' bending or breaking off. i probably used a screwdriver to get the springs back on mine... back in... 1989?

Old 07-27-2005, 02:57 AM

The spring end hooks onto the rams horns of the guide plate. The pc. I am making is the retainer plate. The rams horn pc.(guide) goes onto the round tubular pc. The tubular pc. has a hole in it where the backing plate bolt goes through. Sequence of assy is
Install rams horn over the round tubular pc.(fits in a groove on the tube)
Install backing plate bolt through retainer pc
Install bolt/retainer through the round guide tubular pc.
Tourque bolt
Bend tangs of retainer plate over head of bolt.
The retainer plate not only holds the bolt but looks as though it ensures that the rams horn pc.(guide) does not pop off tubular pc.

Old 07-27-2005, 04:45 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe:
Mike,
A little behind on getting the part made. However... When I get them done (hopefully) in the next week I will have them make an additional set.(the small retainer/wheel cylinder stampings). I will send you a pair. The stamping does not show up in any 66 GTO books I have on restorations but from the original front end assy's (brake drum) I got, these little pcs. make sense to retain everything. Please forward your E-mail address.
Regards.
Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Joe-Many, many thanks. this is the only part that is holding up the front wheel assembly on the goat. Your generosity is much appreciated. Mike(astimegoesby@peoplepc.com)

Old 07-31-2005, 09:51 AM

Mike,
The retainer plates will be ready to go by Thursday. Just have to mill in the slot on the bottom where it fits over the boss on the brake cylinder. Do you also need a set of the rams horn type guide plates for the spring attachement? Let me know. I have an extra set I can send with the retainer plates.
Joe

Old 08-03-2005, 03:37 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Mike,
The retainer plates will be ready to go by Thursday. Just have to mill in the slot on the bottom where it fits over the boss on the brake cylinder. Do you also need a set of the rams horn type guide plates for the spring attachement? Let me know. I have an extra set I can send with the retainer plates.
Joe
Dear Joe,
The retainer plates and the rams horm guide plates are both needed!!! Would be very willing to pay for each type. Please email me asap. These are only parts holding up completion of front end. Let me know how you would like payment and how much?

Old 08-04-2005, 05:47 AM

Mike,
You have mail.
Regards
Joe