Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 08-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Angry front end questions

this shop said i need new ball joints, upper and lower, a centerlink and idler arm. They didn't show me the problems, just said i need to spend 1,100.00 to fix it.

How do i know this is true, is there a way i can check them?

And are ball joints and centerlinks semi easy to put in?

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 08-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That sounds high, what was there shop rate? 6 hours at the most plus parts plus alignment. There is quite a bit involved including special tools to cut the upper ball joint rivets and a press for the lower ball joints. Call around to other shops, most places will try to get your business and do it for less. Make them show you where the parts are loose too. Make sure they are installing good parts too, no chinese crap. In all reallity it's less than a 2hr job for someone who has done alot of front end work.

Last edited by Bill Eveland; 08-16-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Senior Chief

Kind a high. To check the ball joints, juack up the front end and wedge a crow bar under the tire and see if you can lift it. If there is a lot of slack in the ball joints, you'll see movement. For the center link and idler arm, have some one turn the steering wheel back and forth slowly and watch for slack, fairly easy to do.

Changing out ball joints is depending on how much time you have and what tools. A grinder and drill are the best way I have found to remove the rivets on the upper ball joint, unless it has already been replaced, then just back out the existing bolts and nuts. The lower ball joints require a press, a hand one form the local autoparts rental will work just fine.

Jack the car up and put it on jack stands. I always leave a jack underneath, but thats just me. Then put a jack under the lower control arm just to wher its got a tad bit of pressure on it. Remove the upper ball joint from the spindle with a seperator and then seperate the lower one. The main thing to remember is to not let the lower arm go down far enough for the spring to shift, then you have problems, but its easy to avoid.

This is a quick over view, but you can get the drift.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ok thanks guys

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 08-17-2005, 10:23 AM

Default do it yourself

I would pull the upper and lower control arms and send them out for new bushings and ball joints. It is not that hard to remove and reinstall if you take your time and be careful. I would be suprised if it cost more then $400 for the parts and the machine shop labor. For $1,100 I would want ball joints, bushings, idler arm, center link, shocks and lunch!

Tom

Old 08-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

and LUNCH!!!

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 08-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was quoted 1200 for ball joints, bushings, inner and outer tie rod ends, idler arm, center link, and springs. You might want to check around.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 08-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

good point, thanks.

Brandi

Darrah for President!!!

LOL