Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default cooling sytem opinion

Ok here is my question - I am running a dry deck and sealed heads - we are feeding water at the front of the heads with a 55gpm pump and out the back of the head to the rear of the block - -and out the front to the radiator. Do you think it would help the heads and head gasket live if I put the cooling holes back in at the lower side of the center exhaust? Or do you think there is plenty of flow thru the head already ??

Old 08-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to Chris Petersen

Are you having head gasket issues now?

463 SRP .035 Pistons, Eagle rods, N crank, Pump gas, Victor intake, Holley 850BT carb, 6H heads,TH400 w/T-Break, Continental custom 3500 converter, 3.73 gears. TV7101 TURBO!

Old 08-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

looking at it as more of a preventitive issue

Old 08-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to Chris Petersen

Tiger heads correct?

If so, I thought they had a passage, or spot where you can put a line to pull water out/keep water moving by the center cylinders?

463 SRP .035 Pistons, Eagle rods, N crank, Pump gas, Victor intake, Holley 850BT carb, 6H heads,TH400 w/T-Break, Continental custom 3500 converter, 3.73 gears. TV7101 TURBO!

Old 08-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No - -these are Edelbrock

Old 08-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seeing you are dry decked I would see where you might want to tap into the water jacket in the center of the head and route additional return line probably a size or two smaller than your rear exit. My BB Ford is likely to end up that way. Using a stock block completely filled I'll have little choice.

Have you put a temp gun across the head to check variences from end to end and top to bottom? Wish Pontiac never got rid of the original 55-59 reverse cool scheme with the "sprinkler" tubes in the head.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am just wondering if I put the holes in there - -will there really be effective flow - - or will the whole thing just eaqualize and not really do anything ??and as rhe water enters in the front and only gos by one cylinder before it gets to the center two - is there going to be any additional cooling effect by adding the holes??

Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think some of ya'll are confused,that or cgeise misstated his set-up.

Some of you guys are talking about "pulling water out" from the center of the head,well go back and re-read the first post,he says he's feeding water into the heads @ the front,ie:he set-up his cooling system as a reverse flow set-up (heads first,then block not vice-versa),so the lines to the center pair of cylinders in the heads would'nt be "return" lines pulling hot coolant out,they would infact be "feed" lines pumping cooled coolant in.

Thus his dilema,I personally see why he's pondering this,I dont feel he'll gain all that much by doing that with the reverse cooling set-up,the coolant really should'nt be all that hot to begin with like it would be in a standard flow system.

But by the same token I really dont think it would hurt anything either.

Sometimes the only way to get an answer to a question like this is to try it both ways and see what the engine has to say about it.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the Tiger Head out. We have been doing that for a long time. We added a 3/4 NPT hole in the center of the head to add cool water there to cool the exhaust valves. We can also add a 3/8 NPT hole between the exhaust valves on the other side.

We have a new reverse system that will be out in a few weeks. It has no water pump on the motor. In is in the final stages of prototyping. This will work on most any head design.

Quickest, Fastest, Best selling Pontiac Aftermarket Block IA II and Tiger Heads

Boss Bird Funny Car
Best pass to date 08/06/2016 6.027@231.64
Allpontiac Big Chief Aluminum Engine Block

http://www.AllPontiac.com
Old 08-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

my system is plumbed the same way cgeise is describing. on my high ports there is a passage that flows coolant between the two center exhaust valves.
i have a fitting that screws into the front of the head that is tapped for a 1/4 npt fitting.
from there i run a #6 hose to the intake deck surface where the exhaust crossover would be. i don't know how much water flows there, but the gaskets look much better in that area than before i did it that way. in my nitrous application 30-35 runs would start to burn the gasket between the center cylinders before it would effect the outer ones. now they look the same.
i am not sure how to do the plumbing on the edelbrocks, but if they have not been plugged yet you should be able to look up through the deck holes and come up with a way to do the same thing.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey JD,ya'll were one of the guys I was thinking of on this deal,I knew you guys were reverse cooling the car,but I did'nt think you guys had the lines to the center like cgeise was talking about.

Then I read this post.

So I had to go back and take a good close look @ the engine pics I took when ya'll were out at little River a while back,and damned if those lines were'nt hiding in there,pretty sneaky how you guys did that,you can hardly even see them.

I should have just said to ask JD if it helps...

Like I said,did'nt think it could hurt,just was'nt 100% sure it would help,so I guess I learned something today.

Pic included below.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cropped.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	179381  

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the large hoses that are on the front of the head are the entry point of cool water - then I can see where the smaller hose introducing the cool water at the center of the head would help - in my application I have the option of doing the same thing - only to the exhaust side of the head - if I can find the right location - -or drill the deck and head to move some water in that area - -the second option is the one that makes me wonder if it would do any good ?? And the first is a prob cuz I dont know where to drill ?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

are the heads you are running plugged at the deck surface also?
if they are try to find a set that has not been plugged and inspect the passages with a small light or a borescope.
i am not sure on my application if the water actually flows into the intake surface, i suspect it actually sucks water from there. as long as it promotes flow across that area of the head you are acomplishing the same thing. it's not s much the cool water being injected there as it is the flow of water across the casting that removes the heat. it was just something we tried and it worked.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea -- heads are all welded and plugged -- but i was thinking if I could get more flow in that area - it couldnt hurt

Old 08-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya I would think pulling water out from that area would be better. That way you are getting water flow in that area. So I would run a line from the suction side of the water pump to that area.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Ya I would think pulling water out from that area would be better. That way you are getting water flow in that area. So I would run a line from the suction side of the water pump to that area.
Thats what I was thinking but it didnt decipher that way. I think moving water is the key and far more important than if pushed or pulled across a hot spot. edelbrock might be willing to tell you where you'll find water passages and where it should be solid. I'm sure there are a few head porters that know where they are as well.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea - I called Edelbrock tech - lol - good luck If they cannt find it in the catolog - it aint there -- I think the best of all worlds would be if I could put all the watter in at the center of the heads - and let it go both ways - and down into the block -- hmmm

Old 08-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would think that putting a small line on the exhaust side between the two valves and pulling a small amount of water out there would be a good idea. That way you know you have flow going from the intake side between the exhaust valves and out.