Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Pro-charger and dominator

Think I will have any concerns using a dominator throttle body with my pro-charger set up? As soon as I can get the seller to send me the wiring harness for my FAST efi, I need to start getting this project together and havent pieced this together yet. It looks like I can purchase a hat already made for a 4500 style, but thought it might be worth my time to build one. I currently have a 4150 style hat and thought about building a transition from the hat to the dom throttle body instead.

Any suggestion?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just depends on the output N/A and with your charger. You will loose bottom end response with a lower output unit and a bigger throttle plate deal. Remember that you are forcing air thru the carb and won't require as much area as a suck thru. LOL.
There is a formula available to size a carb for application.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Boost Engineer

Based on Steve Morris Dyno testing on Gordon's 509 CID Twin Turbo Inter-cooled Chebby engine, the 850 carb started to have some restriction to intake flow about 1350-1400 engine dyno hp and had about 5 psi difference from the top of the carb to the bottom of the carb at 1700 hp. The Dominator was basically needed from 1400 hp on up in power to optimize the system but Morris in his website says he thinks you can get by until 1600 hp. The Dominator bonnet also has a larger 5" opening dimension.

A 4.0 pipe from the supercharger to a "850" style bonnet transitioning to a 4500 throttle body (with an 2" spacer) should work ok but the difference in price between the Dominator hat and the 850 hat is only $25.00 difference! I would use 4" pipe and transition to the 4500 bonnet's 5" opening vs making a spacer to adapt the 850 hat to the T/B.

http://www.neweraracecraft.com/carb-...i-systems.html

The Morris Dominator Bonnet is a tall thing so either way the hood clearance/ scoop design will have to be looked at. A 1" spacer with a radical transition would not work very well in my mind. How much HP you planning on making?

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 09-15-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

To start with I wouldnt expect to make anything near that amount of HP. I would "like" to see somewhere around 800HP. I bought the 4500 series TB because I wanted to use it on a twin turbo project in my racecar. This 467 will be in my street car to start with. I expect the HP to be much lower from this engine than I would want in my race car. So I doubt I will keep the FI and big TB for the street. I cant do two engines at once so I'm using some of the parts to build the procharger street engine first. Waiting for a good deal on another IA block.

Engine will be a 467 stock block (I know what your thinking already). Forged crank, BME rods, 340cfm E-heads. I'm shooting for a 9.5-1 and will use a meth injector. My hope is to get roughly 600HP N/A and then hopefully end up with 10psi out of the procharger. It might be wishful thinking but I was hoping the big TB wouldnt hurt my low end as much w/the Procharger

I like building things but it may make more sense to buy the bigger bonnet to use on the twin turbo engine.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I started down this very path. Victor Dominator, EFI bungs, fuel rails, Wilsons Dominator throttle body, a spacer on the plenum side, spacer on the hat side (forget how big they were) and the big Dominator Hat. Mocked it all up on the car. Damn it was tall. Way to tall for what I wanted to do. Ended up going in another direction.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If I purchase the dominator hat it doesnt look that tall. My Fast TB looks to be shorter than a standard carb so I'll gain a little room. But I expect to need a hood scoop anyway so I wasnt concerned about the height just yet.

Was you application on a blow through as well?

Old 09-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Boost Engineer

He will be running a F1-R procharger Supercharger.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_poncho View Post
If I purchase the dominator hat it doesnt look that tall. My Fast TB looks to be shorter than a standard carb so I'll gain a little room. But I expect to need a hood scoop anyway so I wasnt concerned about the height just yet.

Was you application on a blow through as well?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yep, just as Tom said. Except I opted for the F1-C instead of the F1-R. Both are the same diameter, but the C model trades off a slight amount of peak flow for more flow down low, which should work better on my street car.

Instead of the single 4 barrel, Im modifying a tunnel ram base. It will get a flat top, a TBD spacer (~3"?) to get to the optimum plenum volume, and we are going to mount a big Accufab throttle body on the front of it. This gets me tons of plenum space, keeps the overall height much lower than it would have been, and gets me into a set of CNC worked CV-1 cylinder heads.

Intake is a work in progress. Expect to have it (the motor) wrapped up very soon now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tr2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	181516   Click image for larger version

Name:	tr3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	181517   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC_TB1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	181518  

Old 09-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

After seeing my intake mocked up I wish I bought a Tb like that so my piping would flow straight into it. Looks like a fun project.

Since your running this on the street will you run methanol injection or is your compression low enough? I have been debating on using a intercooler and a meth system but unsure if I really need a IC at 10psi.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Suspended

just put a 4150 carb on it and forget all the trouble.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62fatcat View Post
just put a 4150 carb on it and forget all the trouble.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What trouble?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_poncho View Post
After seeing my intake mocked up I wish I bought a Tb like that so my piping would flow straight into it. Looks like a fun project.

Since your running this on the street will you run methanol injection or is your compression low enough? I have been debating on using a intercooler and a meth system but unsure if I really need a IC at 10psi.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My CR is right at 9:1. The CV-1 heads have a very efficient combustion chamber. I have no plans to run more than 10# of boost with the street setup and pump premium. I am planning on using a BELL intercooler, and have already done some preliminary measuring to see what I have room for. If I have any issues (and I dont think I will) I will mix 107 octane unleaded drum gas with pump premium until the issue is solved.
I know of engines almost 50 ci smaller than mine with similar cylinder head flow and solid roller cam specs that made very close to 1000 flywheel HP on just 8# of boost from a centrifugal supercharger. The big motor with moderate boost will make a ton of power and be very streetable.