Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Suspended

Default How much nitrous have you guys sprayed...?

What's the most nitrous that has been sprayed @ an IA2 block using Cometic's and Ross nitrous specific pistons? Will the Cometics seal the 4-bolts per cylinders when spraying 400hp-500hp? I'm current spraying 300+ @ this combo and want to add a another plate for a second stage.

Thanks, Bryan

Old 10-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

400/500hp plus

0-ring the block & heads. Use S.S. 0-rings.

But offset the top & bottom 0-rings .030

Seal the deck and head surface. Run water out the back of the block and rear of the heads.

Use the Flatout copper gaskets with built on sealer.

Race Hard & Have Fun

Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

well, i have not had mine running long enough to hit it really hard. Just has a 30 jet in it, cometic gasket. Picked up 300+ to the tires. 5 Dyno hits, one track pass and torched the tranny.

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 10-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

blue bullet can i ask what combo you are running and in what car? How does it run?

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 10-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

as far as a plate goes, i hit my 455 with a 102 nitrous jet in a big shot plate all the time. I could not keep the fel pro gaskets to seal, but the cometics held great.

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 10-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Suspended

IA2 block, 4" stroke, Std. port E-heads, 14.5 comp ( c16 fuel ), Bulter built engine carb-to-oil pan, currently tune is 110N/102F w/ 5.5psi and 20* total. Will run 8.80's with current set. Still optimising the single stage, but looking for to next season. Steve Johnson plate system and Edelbrock progressive.

I will also, the motor has all the good stuff. I had Bulter's build me a dedicated class nitous combo. But, shortly after I started this build the economy took a fall and all my o/t and trips have been completely cut. Now my dreams of class racing have been placed on hold and all I do now is grudge race.

Last edited by Bluebullet; 10-13-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

With that much compression, do exactly as Pontiac Dude posted.

Steve's tune ups are very good, won't hurt parts, even at that level. The issue will be the normal Pontiac weak areas. We're running 3 stages (2 foggers and a plate) from Steve on a BBC and haven't hurt anything in over 130 passes.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE View Post
400/500hp plus

0-ring the block & heads. Use S.S. 0-rings.

But offset the top & bottom 0-rings .030

Seal the deck and head surface. Run water out the back of the block and rear of the heads.

Use the Flatout copper gaskets with built on sealer.

Race Hard & Have Fun
I appreciate these tips. But, money's tight and didn't not intend on tearin' her down to o-ring it. I've haven't had any real sealing issues with my current .110N tune. I could try an additional 150 shot with a second kit and see how she reacts. When this motor was built I was intending on staying below 300. If I can touch off some 8.50's when needed that should get me by for a little while.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandX View Post
blue bullet can i ask what combo you are running and in what car? How does it run?
71 GTO, 3450lbs staged, stock susp, 10.5S

Old 10-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Then I don't understand your question. You already know the answer. If might or might not hold. I would continously check head bolt torque to stay ahead of it. At least with a Pontiac it's easy and a no brainer with heavy doses of Nawzzzzzzzzzzzzz. LOL

I have run Felpro gaskets with 101 pills in a plate. I have run Felpros with 116/120 pills. Didn't last but made a few.

I have run 0-rings with Butler gaskets and 36 pills in a fogger. ran and made a few.

Ran solid decks and 0-rings and lasted 3 times longer with 40 or 42 pills. I won't build a high output power adder combo without copper gaskets and 0-rings anymore. I won't run copper gaskets without dry decking the combo thou. I would go cometics first and just keep up on the tune up and torque.

I know I have to build one first. Bwahahahahahahahahaha.

Never blew a gasket (or by passed) with a D1SC ATI Procharger (0-rings and copper gaskets) and 15 lbs of boost.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE View Post
Then I don't understand your question. You already know the answer. If might or might not hold. I would continously check head bolt torque to stay ahead of it. At least with a Pontiac it's easy and a no brainer with heavy doses of Nawzzzzzzzzzzzzz. LOL

I have run Felpro gaskets with 101 pills in a plate. I have run Felpros with 116/120 pills. Didn't last but made a few.

I have run 0-rings with Butler gaskets and 36 pills in a fogger. ran and made a few.

Ran solid decks and 0-rings and lasted 3 times longer with 40 or 42 pills. I won't build a high output power adder combo without copper gaskets and 0-rings anymore. I won't run copper gaskets without dry decking the combo thou. I would go cometics first and just keep up on the tune up and torque.

I know I have to build one first. Bwahahahahahahahahaha.

Never blew a gasket (or by passed) with a D1SC ATI Procharger (0-rings and copper gaskets) and 15 lbs of boost.
Dude, you pretty much gave me the info I was asking for. Thanks, I guess I should have worded this as " How much will Cometics hold by themselves with an IA2. I was hoping either you and Punisher would chime in. I never see Pontiac guys spraying this level and was curious if I needed to consider anymore upgrades. Thanks again...

Old 10-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

IF the thing is dry decked you can go at least to a 42 (about 450hp) pill with the cometics.
i have done this with good luck so far. a 28-32 tune used to be my base tune up until everybody around here started to catch up. now i pretty much leave the 40-36 (400hp) in it all the time.
i would rather see you get a direct port than spray two plates.
mixture distribution can become a real issue when trying to stuff that much s#*t into a plenum.
only issues i have had with the cometics is when i tried running two kits 1/4 mile. then it would lift the heads and blow combustion gasses on the headers. this may have been a tuning issue though as i never really worked on the 2 kit stuff very much.
good luck.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have Cometics on my IA1 and have not had any issues with a 325 HP hit. Like the other guys above, your best bet is to go with a fogger and its nice to have Steve Johnson do it as his tech suppport is second to none. He will be at Shakedown this weekend, so it will be nice to finally meet him in person.

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 10-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Suspended

I'd LOVE to send Steve my intake to be plumbed up, but a fogger will have to wait just a little longer. Damn, I sure hope the auto industry starts pickin' up next year!

BTW, I attended one of Steve's seminar's back in Feb. He's one of the nicest and helpful guy's in the business.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Jack, make sure you meet Steve's wife, she's even nicer than he is.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran two annular nozzles jetted .072/.055 respectively under the carbs over a 20% OD 8-71 into a stock wet decked block with Cometics. Never had an issue with the Cometics until the rings went away toward the end of the season - then it would lift the heads all the way down the track. I also ran iron heads which I found to be a bit more forgiving then aluminum in sealing the cylinder.

I agree on going to a fogger/plate setup, but if money doesn't allow you might look into the NOS double cross plates. Although the directions don't suggest it for staging systems I've seen it successfully staged in the 5-600hp spray level.