Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 06-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ideas for removing a damaged locking lug nut?

I've got one of those stupid locking lug nuts that I can't get off. NO, it's not stripped so that the 'key' won't grab....The outer shell is actually spinning on the internal nut. Cheap Chinese crap!
How is it constructed? How can I get the outer shell off so I can get to the 'nut' portion? Can I split it?
Or do I need to pull the whole wheel/tire off and drill the stud out from the rear?
I'm thinking the stud is probably pretty hard to drill through....

PS- I've looked at several YouTube clips on removing them...they are all concerned with a stripped lock. None of them refer to one that's just spinning and not catching the nut internally. If I jam a socket on, it's just going to spin just like it does now....

Old 06-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, you can carefully cut the outer shell off with an air chisel and then remove the inner nut, that's how I've removed them in the past.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Suspended

another possibility is to go down to an auto parts store and get a lug nut wrench in the shape of a cross. find the end that just bearly fits over the lugnut, but is just a bit too small. place it over the lug nut and with a 5 pound short handled hammer beat the wrench onto the lug nut as far as it will go. then turn it off.

to remove the offending nut from the wrench screw it back on about 8 full turns and then rock the handle back and forth untill the nut separates fronm the wrench

all this works when you dont have power and or are stuck along side the high way.

worked ever time

Old 06-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Torch?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Brad, that's exactly what I'm thinking I needed to know. How to strip the outer shell from the nut.
Pontiraq, That's pretty much the method I've found shown on YouTube quite a bit.... I guess it 'might' pinch down on the outer cage enough to stop it from spinning over the nut.... but if it doesn't, now I've also got a 4-way lug wrench stuck on the car.

Boss, that might be a final option but I don't want to hurt the Rally One wheel either.

I never did want the locks anyway....but it was an impulse buy and the only set of chrome plated lugs they had at the local parts store included that junk.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:40 PM

Greg, the four way should work just fine. I have also pounded a slightly smaller 6 point socket onto the nut. The spinning cover is pretty thin, and usually it will split. I have used the four way to break wheel studs off too. No damage was done to my Rally ll.
Good luck.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for responding guys...I got it off...Long story. As it turns out, the cover in not thin at all. In fact, it didn't even have a cover. Once I split it open, I could see that the threads extended nearly all the way through. Never did see a 'nut' imbedded. Pretty much a one-piece deal and solid all the way through...
Now...Turns out that this was my fault and only luck allowed me to finally get it off. Once I got most of the locking nut split, I could see that the entire stud was turning. Now my luck came in...all the Dremeling, beating, etc, vibrated the center cap screws out. Unbelievable luck that the center cap came off without damage and I was able to pull the entire wheel with tire and drum attached. I was able to hammer the stud back in place and the locking lug screwed off by hand.
All my fault as I happened to put the lock on a stud that I had replaced. Obviously, I didn't get it seated all the way in and it came loose when I was putting the wheel on.
All's well now.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 PM

Good job Greg. Sounds like you had a good work out, along with some good luck.

Jim

Old 06-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll take luck over skill any day of the week - but I often need to.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks again guys!
All the lugs were rusted, missing or loose and some of the studs were missing as well. I painted the Rally-I center caps while I had them off to make them correct for '66, installed new chrome lugs and even painted the drums red. Checked the brakes out, lubed, etc...
Now I can move my '66 yard ornament around from one tree to another....lol

Last edited by Greg Reid; 06-28-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Pontiraq, That's pretty much the method I've found shown on YouTube quite a bit.... I guess it 'might' pinch down on the outer cage enough to stop it from spinning over the nut.... but if it doesn't, now I've also got a 4-way lug wrench stuck on the car.

It it gets to that, then just rock the wrench back and forth a bit and you will feel it loosen up, as it does that pull it off, it will come off.