The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 10-18-2023, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default lightly textured paint recommendations

I'm helping a friend with a low budget driver type car (80 Firebird). It's a decent car that could be restored some day, but for now, he's looking for budget minded solutions to get it on the road and looking decent. Anyways, he's looking for a low sheen black paint to use in a trunk that's lightly textured. Something like 3m rubberized undercoating that comes in a spray can, but harder and won't rub off. He considered truck bed liners like U-pol Raptor liner, but they all seem to be too textured for his taste. spray bomb or 2k in can. Any recommendations?

Old 10-18-2023, 07:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

2k bedliner with a compressor and gun and crank up the pressure. It should atomize better and lay flatter.

Old 10-18-2023, 09:24 PM
Suspended

Whatever he sprays is permanent in there, unless trying to fill every pinhole at same time.

Old 10-19-2023, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have found that you can control the texture by the distance the can is from the surface. Close is a lot on texture, far away is less. (but more coats)

Old 10-19-2023, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Jeff, Hope all is well with you and your family.

Kennedy tool boxes have a textured finish and they do sell their paint in spray cans. They offer their traditional chocolate brown and red but one could easily follow up with a top coat of a SEM semi gloss or satin black, also available in a spray can. Definitely not as permanent as the bed coat linings so future removal would be a breeze.

Tim john---

Old 10-19-2023, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Jeff, Hope all is well with you and your family.

Kennedy tool boxes have a textured finish and they do sell their paint in spray cans. They offer their traditional chocolate brown and red but one could easily follow up with a top coat of a SEM semi gloss or satin black, also available in a spray can. Definitely not as permanent as the bed coat linings so future removal would be a breeze.

Tim john---

Old 10-20-2023, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hammered paint has a texture
you can buy in the box stores
I cant imagine reversing the mess of using bedliner

Old 10-20-2023, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

duplicate

Old 10-20-2023, 11:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
I'm helping a friend with a low budget driver type car (80 Firebird). It's a decent car that could be restored some day, but for now, he's looking for budget minded solutions to get it on the road and looking decent. Anyways, he's looking for a low sheen black paint to use in a trunk that's lightly textured. Something like 3m rubberized undercoating that comes in a spray can, but harder and won't rub off. He considered truck bed liners like U-pol Raptor liner, but they all seem to be too textured for his taste. spray bomb or 2k in can. Any recommendations?

I used truck bed liner on wheel wells, interior floor, trunk floor (before splatter finish) on my 68 after thinning it with acetone, about 1 to 1....went on and flowed out without the pebble finish, but is still plenty tough.

68 GTO
The Following User Says Thank You to gtohunter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2023, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohunter View Post
I used truck bed liner on wheel wells, interior floor, trunk floor (before splatter finish) on my 68 after thinning it with acetone, about 1 to 1....went on and flowed out without the pebble finish, but is still plenty tough.

Sounds like a good idea gtohunter

What kind of spray gun did you use? (tip size?)