Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:11 AM

Default '73 350 Dying, what to do?

I recently purchased a '73 Pontiac Ventura 350 4-door that was in seemingly good shape.

Hah!

Did a dry, then wet compression test confirming I had 20psi in the #6 hole, but consistent results in all the others. So I had a leakdown test done!

All cylinders, aside from #6, were leaking 30-50% into the crankcase. #6 is going straight into the exhaust valve at 90%. She still runs, eats about 1 quart of 10w-30 per-1000 miles. Going for 20w-50 until I can fix this issue.

So now I have to decide...and this is why I come to PY...What is my best course of action? The motor has a nice Edelbrock carb and intake, but there's nothing else I care to save from this motor. Do I...

1. Have it rebuilt. No idea on what that would cost.
2. Find a rebuilt Pontiac
3. Screw it, put a non-Pontiac in it. No idea how easily a Chevy 350 would fit in here, but it would be easier to obtain...
4. ???

I can't, or won't, put this vehicle out of service until the rainy season ends. It's my only mode of transportation, aside from a bicycle. By then I may have $500-$1000 set aside, but who the hell knows.

What do you more experienced gentlemen say?

Last edited by Zenith; 02-20-2008 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:26 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Sent you a PM, but then finished reading your post- doesn't sound like you're near me!

Old 02-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Senior Chief

I have seen many times people trying to literally give away good running Pontiac 350 motors. Keep your eyes open and find one by the time you are ready to do the swap. I would have given you one about 8 months ago. Ended up trashing it because nobody wanted it for free. Even posted it on this forum.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A 400 or 455 will literally bolt right in. Either will stomp a 350 Chevy in the same car 400s are plentiful yet. 455s have more collector value so cores are higher, but building them is about the same.

If you do go the Chevy "route", be prepared for many a challenge from Pontiac-powered cars, just to prove the point. You will need a stout 383 or bigger small block to approach the streetable power of the 400 Pontiac.

I would avoid any "remanufactured" Pontiac, as expertise in reman shops is mostly later model engines. They can do it, but won't use the modern techniques and parts we now use. A "custom" engine is the ticket.

Before you make any decisions, get Jim Hand's "How to Build Max-performance Pontiac V8s", published by SA Designs. This is the most current study of the old Injun, and contains answers to most of your questions regarding building a durable and powerful Pontiac.

Jim

Old 02-20-2008, 03:06 PM

...Yeah, I don't have the time or money to order a fully assembled crate motor, nor do I have the time or the money to assemble (myself) a decent 400. I'm more thinking of a 350 (Or 400, I suppose, if I can find one for a similar price) short block. I guess I could just have the heads fixed up, and the rest of the motor is in working order.

So it's either between finding a working shortblock, or having this engine rebuilt. I suppose I'll stay Pontiac, but money is the major factor. I'll look for that book, though.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think your best bet is to get a used running Poncho 350 that you can drop in for now- then you can work on your other motor as time and money permits. You might even be able to find that motor here, from one of the PY members.

BTW, Jim is right about reman'd engines- they can put together a grocery getter motor, but not anything that will last under high performance use. I bought one when I was a newbie and didn't know how to build motors, and it didn't live more than a few years under my lead foot.

Geno

Old 02-21-2008, 03:56 AM

Okey doke...She's running fine for now, I guess I'll rebuild her as soon as summer kicks in!

Now...How to Build Max-performance Pontiac V8s? Is that going to help me rebuild this sucker? I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to choosing parts and the rebuild process itself. I'm not worried about the hands on, I have many old motorheads for friends.

My goal is to rebuild this sucker without spending excess amounts of dough, but I'd also like to ensure I get above the sickening 7.6:1 stock compression. Any hints as to how I should go about planning this?

Old 02-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Zenith,

Get the book. Read it three times. Yes, it WILL help, especially picking a combination that won't leave you with a pile of mis-matched parts. Get back to us on planning your build.

Jim

Old 04-09-2008, 03:27 AM

Hmm. I've been searching around for a new engine, but it has led me to a new question. What Pontiac engines will fit in a 1973 Ventura without issue? Accessories and ignition systems aside, what will directly bolt in?

Only 350/400/455 made after a certain date? What's the rule here?

Old 04-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Zenith,

Any 350, 400 or 455 built from '71 through '75, with 5 mounting holes drilled and tapped on each sid of the block will be a direct bolt-in. The earlier stuff can be more powerful without a lot of work, but a couple of small changes needed to make them bolt in. "The Book" explains most of it in good detail.

Don't over-think this. It isn't NEAR as difficult as putting a non-Pontiac (of any description) in there.

Jim

Old 04-09-2008, 09:48 PM

Thanks again Mr. P-Body, sounds like I am going to pick up that book. The reason I ask is of course availability. The local market in the Central Valley is almost devoid of Pontiac motors. The Bay Area and Southern California both show a fair amount more listings on classified sites for Pontiacs, and Pontiac parts. I figure I'll takes what I can gets, but I wanted to be sure what exactly I can takes. Then of course there's always the issue of compression on motors such as mine, a 73. I figure finding a earlier engine in good shape would be superior to finding a 73 350 in good shape.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:26 PM

Shows what I know, I thought Venturas already had Chevy engines from the factory...

Old 04-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Suspended

Are you sure that 73 Ventura's don't use the 67-69 Firebird engine mounts? I had a 71 that did use the early 'Bird mounts.