Old 11-10-2021, 01:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Fogot to polarize my voltage regulator

So I tried to start my car after it has been sitting w the battery disconnected this summer. Forgot to polarize the voltage regulator of course. Once I realized it I tried to polarize the regulator but don't get any spark during the momentary jumper. Is my regulator and or generator now toast. I cranked the starter for a short while but didn't get the car started. Thx for any reply/ input.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The genny gets polarized not the regulator. I guess you went from bat to arm to polarize. It could be bat to gen, same thing. If no spark, then you have no power at the bat terminal or possibly the brushes are hung up.

Old 11-15-2021, 06:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So if the generator is not polarized and you are cranking the engine trying to start the car, what damage or problems (if any) are incurred?

Old 11-15-2021, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Polarizing the generator shouldn't matter for just getting the car started - once it's running, the system will either be charging or it won't. If it is charging, you're fine and nothing needs to be done. If it's discharging, you'll have to polarize it but it won't affect anything in the short term. Obviously, it can only run off the battery without charging for so long.

Personally, I've rarely had to polarize - more often than not it's okay without having to do anything.

Old 11-15-2021, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As Stuart said, there should be no damage done by cranking. Removing the battery cables will not reverse the polarity. It can only be reversed by intentionally or accidentaly reversing it. The genny can lose polarity over time, but that usually takes a looooong time. It can also lose polarity from being struck with a hammer or dropped. The problem seems to be no spark when attempting to polarize it. This would be either no power to the battery wire at the reg or an open circuit from the reg arm terminal to the generator, which could be a broken wire, brushes not making contact or an open armature in the genny. Some cars had a small fuse at the bat reg terminal. It is a ceramic square looking piece where the bat wire connects and the other end connects to the reg bat terminal. If you have this the fuse may be bad.

Old 11-15-2021, 09:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So a side question. If you get a replacement voltage regulator, do you have to go through an adjustment process to get it operating correctly or can you just install it and go?

Old 11-16-2021, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tricky question. If you get a new reg, try to match it to your original number. Different regs are used for different amp generators. Find out your generator amperage and buy a reg to match. If you do that you may get lucky and not need to make any adjustment, but even then you may have to.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Checked my service manual to see which voltage regulator would be correct in case it comes to that. The number for the regulator per the manual is 1119001. When I search online for that number there's lots of variations that have a letter tacked on the end such as 1119001E for example. Anyone know the significance of the letter? Year, vehicle application ? Thanks in advance for any insight / input.

Old 11-22-2021, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another Delco number for the 1119001 is D618. I don't know what the letter after the number is(E). This is for a gennerator with 26 -31 amp. You may want to check the number on the generator. The generator may have been changed at some point in the past. Be sure to buy the highest quality regulator you can find. If you buy a cheapo reg you will almost always need to adjust it when you put it on. Don't skimp on this part. The cheap ones are garbage.

Old 11-27-2021, 05:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The voltage regulator has a capacitor on a bracket that mounts via 2 of voltage regulator mounting screws. The lead goes to the BAT terminal of the voltage regulator. I have no idea if the cap is any good, and also is this really necessary / required? I took the generator and voltage regulator to a repair facility to have them tested and the result was both are good!?

Old 11-28-2021, 02:42 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

In my experience that capacitor is merely to reduce RFI that bothers radio reception.