WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 1993-02 Firebird/Trans Am Owners > 93-02 General Tech/Discussion

93-02 General Tech/Discussion 1993-2002 Firebird/Trans Am General Tech/Discussion

Old 04-08-2018, 04:36 PM
Senior Chief

Default Things to look for in a 4th gen

I'm toying with the idea of purchasing a 4th gen. Any general things to look for or avoid would be helpful.

I like the looks of the 95-97 WS6 cars but would imagine anything with an LS might be better.

I have T Tops in my second gen and love them during good weather. How are the 4th gen T Top cars? How's the headroom in the non T Top cars. I'm 6'2 and rub my head in a 2nd gen hard top car. Don't want to have to fight that in a 4th gen.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:39 AM

1980 TA.....I've got two Firebirds. A 1997 and a 2000. Look for all the things that you would normally check on a 20 year old used car. These cars tend to hold up well if taken care of and ride and handle good. One thing that can be a problem is the doors. The shell is made of fiberglass, and are very heavy with power windows, doors, speakers, and a large piece of glass. Because of the weight and continual use, they tend to crack the fiberglass at the front end where the hinges attach. Continued use by lifting and slamming the door causes the latch to break, the windows to rattle and come off their tracks, and sometimes break the glass. Because the door no longer swings true, the hinge pins wear also. The only known cure is to remove the door, gut it, and reinforce the leading edge of the shell where the hinges attach with steel plates from the inside. A tedious and time consuming job. Any car that you look at, open the door and lift it. If the car lifts with the door, your probably ok. If only the door lifts, take that into consideration......John
Old 04-10-2018, 08:41 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks. Doesn't sound that much different than a 2nd gen as mine needs new hinges as the rebuilt ones didn't last too long.

Getting real close to wrapping up a deal for a low mileage 94 Firehawk.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:07 PM
Senior Chief

Got the Firehawk home on Sunday. Thought I'd share some pics. Pretty clean car!!!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156623160@N02/e7bFbq