Old 08-27-2021, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Finish1 clearcoat fc720

Has anyone ever used Finish1 clearcoat for a paint job? I believe it is made by Sherwin Williams. I bought it at the local Napa, who is a Martin Senour paint dealer. I’ve got a project car that I will be shooting base/clear paint on. I already have this clear on the shelf and am tempted to give it a try. It won’t be a show car or anything, just a decent looking driver. Curious how easy it is to shoot and if it holds up well if you have used it before. I’ll be using an Iwata lph400 with a 1.4 tip.

Old 08-28-2021, 04:54 PM

Finish1 is a very good “economy” clear. It’s pre reduced but you can add a splash of US solvent if you want it thinner or flash quicker. 720 is the overall version. It has much less UV screener in it than a lifetime clear. If your car is garaged, it’ll be fine. If it sits outside everyday in Florida, may only last 7-8 years.
The Iwata 1.4 will hose it on, be careful. May have to move a bit faster.

Old 08-28-2021, 05:50 PM

I have a body shop I use it a lot for run of the mill stuff it is easy to work with looks great sanded and buffed good all around clear for the money it would be perfect for your project I use a 1.4 tip in a sata spray gun for this clear

Old 08-31-2021, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use Martin Senour paints. Have used the Finish 1 many times. Seems more like a spot repair clear as its not a high solids paint. I use it on underside of cars and subframes too with flattened.
The old Tech Base clears are amazing. You can still get their top of the line clears, and they are great in all respects

Old 08-31-2021, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the replies everyone. It is tempting to go ahead and use this clear on my car. It doesn't sit outside more than a day at a time. Does this clear tend to yellow like some of the cheaper clears do?

Old 09-30-2021, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just an update on this clear. I ended up shooting it on my 74 GTO and it laid down very nice. I haven’t color sanded and buffed yet but I don’t think it will take much to get it to where it needs to be. I’m certainly a beginner with painting and it laid down slick in my work shop on a 75 degree morning. My Iwata paint gun actually has a 1.3 tip and not the 1.4.

I would estimate with sandpaper, primers, sealer, tack rags, mixing cups, thinners, paint and clear, I’m in this paint job for around $1,000-$1,200 doing everything myself. I started sanding the car down late spring and am just now finishing it up. This car is just a driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7DDAEBC1-09EF-4B89-88E8-F1F48F397938.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	574102   Click image for larger version

Name:	714D719D-0619-46AF-B9ED-D889FB7C14D1.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	574103  

Old 09-30-2021, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior