The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 10-03-2021, 06:43 PM
Senior Chief

Default Roof Skin to Roof Bows.

I replaced a roof skin on a vinyl top car. The bottom had the factory insulation that I stripped off. The bows going both directions do not touch the roof skin but are very close. Was the roof skin originally glued to the bows? If you pull down on the bows they will pop down and stay down. I have some dynamat to stick to the skin to replace the insulation but not sure what to do first? Thanks.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Roof skin was not glued to the bows afaik.

Don

Old 10-04-2021, 02:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, I'm in the same boat ... the roof skin is about 3/8" off the support braces. Originally it had felt stuffed between the two that kept them roof supported and prevented oil canning.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:34 AM

https://www.amazon.com/SEM-39357-Fle.../dp/B0014DDGGW

SEM anti flutter foam. It’s good stuff!

The Following User Says Thank You to Stan65 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2021, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The stuff holding up the hood in my 62 cat was all dry rotted. I removed it and the hood oil-canned pretty badly. I got a pneumatic caulk gun and 3M windshield urethane and it is solid as ever now. I'm going to use the same stuff to install the side window glass into the lower channel.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:23 AM

Your 62 Catalina roof skin might be thick enough to not telegraph through the skin during hot vs cold. I know on thinner skins it’s only straight when it’s close to the temperature you blocked it at.

You my be fine.

The idea with the foam (same stuff the OEM’s use on doors, hoods, trunks, and roofs) is it will support without pushing or pulling with temperature changes.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:05 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks all, I did a little tweaking in the corners to force the support braces up and it seems to have helped. It is much harder to make it pop down now. It has the small gap between it and the roof skin as it should. I am trying some material like dynamat and the roof skin seems to be stiffer. I'm on the fence about gluing them together. The factory never did it but that was 50 years ago, now we have more and better options. I am concerned the glue may show spots in the paint on a sunny day but it sure would make it solid.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I noticed my roof oil canned when it was outside in the sun, but solid as a rock inside ... or vice versa, I forget. I'm going to probably use some foam, I hated the way the OEM insulation was shoved between the supports and the roof skin.