The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 11-01-2021, 10:17 AM

Default Convertible quarter repair- advice from those who have replaced

Bought a 1970 convertible and have to replace the PS quarter. The car was rear ended back in the 90's and the shop used a hardtop quarter to repair. The bodywork is now shining bright!! LOL.

I have a complete quarter I cut off of another ragtop- with the wheelhouses still attached.

Steps would be:

1A: measure, measure, measure, measure!

1. Strip the quarter at the seams
2. Dig out all of the body work
3. Dig out the "seams"
4. Cut out the spot welds, including the ones attaching the wheelhouse to the quarter
5. Cut off the quarter skin
6. Patch/ repair wheelhouse(s).
7. Cut the "new" skin to match
8. Go from there.

I think this video is a good point of reference (???).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzZxEo1xyko&t=13s

This is a first for me...

Thank you

1970 GTO (someday )
Old 11-01-2021, 09:03 PM

I found that the hard part is getting everything lined up so the body lines match. However I wasn’t using OEM quarters.

I spent lots of time trying to make sure the inner wheel well wasn’t too far inset or too far to the outside. That really had an impact on how well the qp fit.

Getting everything lined up and in place and getting the cuts made so everything butts up tight is more difficult than I thought it would be.

I also wish I had spent some time massaging the rear bumper cut out. Make sure you trial fit the bumper before welding everything in. The bumpers didn’t fit well from the factory and I’m not sure how much you want to improve v . Original.

The seam on the trunk is prone to cracking. I welded in plates. I still had to use quit a bit of kitty hair filler over those welds because I couldn’t figure out how to planish them and got some warping etc.

Make sure you check your replacement panel for rust in the pinch weld between the inner and outer panel. It might be worth separating them to get any rust out and epoxy in there.

Sounds like you have a good plan and good parts to work with. I’m sure if you take your time it will go well

Can you post pics of everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk