Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-23-2021, 07:25 AM
Boost Engineer

Thank You Jason.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a tv show. Nothing more. The drama is supposed to be entertaining and keep you watching. If you think all this is real then soap operas are to.

Old 10-23-2021, 10:18 AM
Senior Chief

It pays 40 grand to win each race...Driving past the scales, IF YOU ARE LEGAL, is plain dumb.

Old 10-23-2021, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All I can say is I’m glad I have Fast forward it makes it much easier to watch. A soap opera for grown men is what it is.

Old 10-23-2021, 10:32 AM
Senior Chief

Please engrave on brane: it is a TV show and is both scripted and edited. How much is scripted/edited is unknown but certainly anything not on the track. All that is missing is the Camaro into the bulldozers. They do not care about continuity and probably have a menu of scripts depending on what actually happened. They carefully avoid any mention of actual date other than the event itself but the clothing and the appearing/disappearing masks and decals makes me wonder.

Bottom line: about as much "reality" as any other "reality" show.

Old 10-23-2021, 10:46 AM
Senior Chief

I know some people that have ran in this series , and I’m quite confident that the winners are NOT predetermined.

With that said, driving past the scales is just as dumb as telling someone to do it or you’ll no longer be their friend.

Editing what is said, has nothing to do with bitch moves like that.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:46 AM
Boost Engineer

Why I have NO Interest in "DRAG RACING" in general these days.

JME

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am not judging a guy because of what I saw on a tv show.

The Following User Says Thank You to dragracerx2813 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2021, 08:08 PM
Senior Chief

Said expected everything other than on track time is scripted. That may be selected. Amazing how long a sub 5 second race is.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
Said expected everything other than on track time is scripted. That may be selected. Amazing how long a sub 5 second race is.
Go to an actual event. It’s a good time. The racing is real, the TV show isn’t.

These cars are running 3.9 to 4.7 or so depending on the car and track. Now add that time to a minimum of 8 cameras (2 on each car, 1 in car, boom camera, drone). That’s 32 seconds of footage per race and how a sub 5 second race can be stretched out to 15-20 seconds for the TV viewer.

It’s basic storyboard editing.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:45 PM
Senior Chief

Just confirms my thoughts but one thing has bothered me for years: with computer control including traction control why are there so many that go up in smoke or occasionally loose control completely ? Is there something in the rules that limits authority ? Also hear some that forget to turn the nitrous on. No LED ?

Seems compared to an F-16 "hard ride" flight control a drag car should be simple.

Old 10-25-2021, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

F-16 is actually a really good example. The F-16 is a fantastic piece of equipment that is diminished by it's onboard controls. Simply put, the F-16 pilot can't bring the aircraft to the limit of its performance envelope simply because the aircraft's avionics won't allow them to.

By many measurable statistic, an F-16 should best an F-18 in a close quarter dog-fight. In the end however it really comes down to the pilot, largely due to the fact that a good pilot in an F-18 can ring every last ounce of performance from that aircraft, while a superior F-16 pilot can only fly to the limit of the F-16's avionics.

Traction control is no different. The way the systems manage traction is by reducing engine power, so all they can ever do is slow you down. A good driver, that knows the limit of the car will be able to drive it themselves than if they just let the traction control system do everything for them.

As far as forgetting the nitrous goes, that happens to all racers. Sure you probably have a system arm notification that it's On, but if you forget to actually open the bottle, it doesn't do crap. That just comes down to jitters and nerves. I can't tell you how many times I've gone down a drag strip and forgot to turn off the car's traction control system, simply because of nerves.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:00 PM
Senior Chief

After paging through all of this I can only say, "You know this is TV don't you????????????????????"

Old 10-27-2021, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the kid whimped out, should of told Robin to F off

Old 10-28-2021, 01:17 AM
Suspended

Does anyone actually give a ****... Asking for friend..... I've gotten into street racing... we race from 60 mph-180...the slower the car, the more b.s you have to deal with..

Old 11-03-2021, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it was made for TV drama...as far as the kid don't feel sorry for him he was the Mega Cash Days Winner...

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 11-03-2021, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw that was him fing Brandon James