Old 11-04-2021, 10:09 PM
Senior Chief

Default Special Order Colors

My '66 GTO is a factory special order color car. the PHS doesn't give a color so I called them and they said there was no way to know what color it was.

So does this mean it was any color GM had in 1966 or does it literally mean any color ?

I know it was Tiger Gold, I'm just wondering if I can have options and still be original.

Old 11-04-2021, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most likely any color out of the GM pallet.... but I guess there is a chance of a true special color outside of that..... no way to tell....

Without documentation, no way to prove what color it was painted..... so you can choose any color you want.

Mine was also a Special Order color, but I have documentation that it was ordered 67 Buick Rivera Charcoal Poly - ( Dupont Paint Code stamped on Owners Manual ), plus I tracked down and talked to original owner....

If you plan on reselling it.... Tiger Gold would be cool..... But if this is a long term ownership.... just do as you wish in my opinion....

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 11-05-2021, 06:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It has been shown/documented that Yes any color from GM pallets as well as in some cases other manufacturers colors.
But as mentioned no way to truly verify unless the car is a survivor and/or has original documentation.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:46 AM
Senior Chief

So, it's a 2 owner original tri power 4spd with the original engine and transmission, zero rust car almost ready to paint . what would you do ?

I have struggled for 3 years trying to come up with a version of Tiger Gold I like yet close enough to original it's not corny and I still haven't got it . I haven't given up I'm sure I will but I'm open to a new direction. while I don't plan on selling the car I don't want to crash the value someday it will get sold. could the right color possibly enhance the value ?

Old 11-05-2021, 11:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMX guy View Post
...while I don't plan on selling the car I don't want to crash the value someday it will get sold. could the right color possibly enhance the value ?
I think it's a crapshoot...someone may be willing to ante up more $$ if the color is the one they have been looking for (points for limited production colors). However, the pool of potential buyers may be much more limited than if the car is painted in a popular/desirable color.

Is there ANY documentation or pics that show the original paint color? If not, it would be your word against another's to prove what was OEM.

Personally, I think I would paint it Tiger Gold (since you are aware) and pass on the story/history to the next owner, if you ever need to sell. But then again...I like gold.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 11-05-2021, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Long term ownership…..

Paint it what you want

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 11-05-2021, 05:06 PM
Senior Chief

It had been repainted once in the original tiger gold over the original paint when I bought it. no question it was Tiger gold from the start not only is the original paint still in lots of spots but the owner who had it since 1967 was a family friend. I should see if his widow has any pictures I could copy I'm sure she does. don't know why i never thought of that myself.

I like gold too, just not Tiger Gold, it's a greenish brown dull color in my opinion. but trying to come up with a better but acceptable gold is driving me batchit crazy.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

IMO to be absolutely correct I think you are likely safe with any GM offered color that was not assigned a letter code as a RPO color that year across Chevy/BOP. Tiger Gold being one of them in 66 (Fathom Turquoise, Ramada Bronze, and Copper Blaze were others)

You may be safe with colors offered by other GM brands that year such as Sierra Red/Autumn Bronze but I think these may be called out using their respective GM paint letter codes (M for Sierra Red) on trim tag and/or BH, at least in some cases.

I don’t think special paint coding was ever done in a consistent manner back in those days so it’s often just a “best guess” lacking any obvious giveaways.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Years ago I had a Copper Blaze '66 GTO and it was a really sharp color. That said, if I had a mostly original tripower 4 speed Tiger Gold car, I would repaint it Tiger Gold, even though I am not a fan of the color.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Take your pick of these , or make a variation of one of these colors.
This old faded chart is barely a general representation of actual colors.

but
the Right Color for a 66 is Black

Any color other than a true form of TigerGold is going to be the same minus on the future sale price
to scrutinizing buyers of a frame off resto.
A modified gold may as well be red or blue or silver - to a tiger gold buyer. fwiw

You sort of do have a license to use any of these colors, per se'
The car won't be worthless unless you go with something really goofy.
Paint it the exact color you like the best and Enjoy the Car . in my opinion

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66 GTO Special Paint.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	577167  

Old 11-08-2021, 12:29 AM
Senior Chief

Good information in this for sure, thanks. to be honest I'm not sure I like any of those colors any better than the gold. and what you're saying about staying with a pretty true gold makes sense.

This car is too nice to play games with and value considered or not I probably shouldn't screw it up just because I'm not thrilled with the color. in the end I'd regret it I know myself well enough to know that.

, I have spray outs of Solar Gold as well as Tiger Gold and they're so similar I'm not sure they aren't the same color. but it seems like the solar gold pops just a bit more so I think that's how this debacle ends. it's not like a ' factory 66 Tiger Gold tripower 4spd is something that has to be altered in the first place is probably how I should be looking at it.

Old 11-10-2021, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What color interior? Plum Mist is one of my favorite special colors...But like you, l'd be conflicted about changing it from TG with that being original.

Old 02-13-2022, 03:10 PM

I'm not a purest and my 66 also had a custom color some ugly green, i chose Torch Red and I am thrilled with the results.
That car gets so much attention at every show or just out for dinner.
I've now had it 17 years and added a Tremic 5 speed, AC, Wilwood Disc fronts
Tilt steering, Rocar adj seats just love it.
If anything I have to deal with the mulit offers seems every time I'm at a car show
so do what u like!
I love all Gto's but i want to drive in some comfort on a long trip.
P.S Its a stroker w/ Edelbrock 0 port heads and Doug Headers and I got 17 mpg
with 3.73 gears down to the Buddy Holly show.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Whats not to like about the green brown tiger gold color? haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170107_133036_001_resized.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	584091  

Old 02-14-2022, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Doesn't the data plate give a hint what the color may or may not be? I recall something with a 1 if a GM color and a 2 if it was something else.....?

Old 02-14-2022, 04:54 PM

I have an Acme 1966 GM color stripe set. Tiger Gold has no manufacturers code listed.
Interestingly, there are 55 GM colors in the set and Tiger Gold is the only one with no code!

The Acme sales # for Tiger Gold is 5135.

I hope this is helpful!

James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
Old 02-14-2022, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My '61 Bonneville was a special order paint car. Fortunately, the names of the paint colors was hand written on the documents from PHS, and I was able to figure out they were 1959 standard colors.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My dads friend ordered a 66 GTO new in special paint. 58 Cadillac firemist blue.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a NAPA-Martin Senour formula of 5993 for GeeTO Tiger Gold Metallic. If your local NAPA mixes paint, you may have another option. I like Tiger Gold myself and have a Candlelight Cream (blah!) 66 gto project myself. I'm toying with Tiger Gold for my car. My 66 is a completely unoriginal project though. irgoatmike

Old 06-06-2023, 09:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think I remember reading a long time ago, that Tiger Gold was originally a special order color.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al2b-...eature=related