Old 07-25-2016, 08:35 PM

Default '79 Trans Am Resto Questions

I'm trying to finish up my '79 T/A interior restoration and was looking for some suggestions and opinions on the last few fixes to finish up.

The seatbelts in my car are the originals and the retractor does not work completely right on the front seats. I'd like to find a way to restore or replace the belts so that they work and look somewhat close to original. I know some resto places are very pricey and the repro versions are as well. If anyone knows of any aftermarket products that fit and look decent or a good restoration shop that would be a huge help.

One of the major parts that I need to get done to make everything look complete is restoring my dash bezel (silver swirled). I have read about restoration shops and am considering using transamdashbezels.com, but I was hoping for some reviews on their work. I haven't seen anything bad thus far but would like some recommendations from anyone who has used them.

Finally, the tachometer in my car has always had something wrong with it. It stays at 0 rpm when the car is off and when the car starts it wont move from 500 rpm. I thought that replacing the dash harness would fix the problem but it is still an issue. The speed-o works fine as do the bulbs and clock in that gauge cluster and there is power going to the tach as well so I think its a problem with the gauge itself. Any suggestions on what could be wrong? I would like to keep that cluster since it is the original and everything else seems to work. Any restoration shops or quick fixes that you know of would be awesome. If it comes to it I will just replace that piece of the cluster but it would be nice to fix the one that I have.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1979 T/A
Old 08-15-2021, 02:36 PM

Still looking for replacement seatbelts if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks,

1979 T/A
Old 08-15-2021, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hit the swaps and get a nOS roll of webbing. Just yesterday, I saw a nOS roll of Dk blue at a swap. I picked up a roll of camel with the thread. Then make new ones.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I went down this road once before, and in the end, the restored belts are well worth the money.

You can find seconds, and ones with no date code tags, makes them considerably cheaper. Should be able to get a decent set under $400. Keep your eyes open on eGay, they pop up once in a while.

You probably know, Snake Oyl is about the best out there:

https://www.ssnake-oyl.com/

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-19-2021, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure that making your own is the safest way to go about with seat belts. I have heard of snake oil, but no experience. Vendors like Ames sell them in different quality's, from original style to repros I think. Seat belts are a safety issue that most dont think about unless you need them. Do you really want to cheap out on this part of the car?

I always get a kick out of where people try to save money when restoring cars. $400-$500 for belts seems expensive but I would bet most people would not hesitate for a second to spend $1000 for another 50 H/P (which really isnt necessary).

Old 08-19-2021, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talk to the parters, tell them what you need, buy the whole set when they part the car. I found a camel set, all I needed the the front 2 sleeves which were perfect.
I picked up a roll of no’s green webbing if anyone needs a roll.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As a note, seat belts are made to a specific standard, are certified, so by just sewing a seat belt together with your home Singer machine is not a safe practice.

SFI certifications expire every 2 years, as an example. OE seat belts are not required to be re-certified, but safety inspectors can fail a car if a belt is obviously compromised.

If you only need the retractors repaired, and maybe the buckle covers replaced, it's not as expensive as buying a whole set. They can't give you a quote over the phone, you have to send them in, but at least you will know before you spend what you're in for.

If it's just one belt that's boogered, get a used replacement, and use it until you're ready to go forward with that item of your restoration. That way you can at least drive it for now.

In my opinion, or at least how it worked out for me, once I reach the point that the interior is done, and you put the originals back in, they will be screaming in your face, and other's too. That will drive you to doing it 'correctly'.

EDIT: It took me over 2 years until I came across a good deal on a set of belts for my 442 project.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-20-2021, 12:46 PM

Thanks guys. I’m halfway looking for brand new and half waiting to see if I can find a decent original come up for sale. I’ve got about 90% of the interior restored, just a few minor items that stick out as not how I’d like them. I’ve always got that running to-do list but every time I drive the car I get that reminder of the seatbelts. Thanks again for the help.

1979 T/A