Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:07 PM
Boost Engineer

Charlie,

The Pontiac Engines for the most part used one chain from a Second Camshaft Gear to drive both of the OHC camshaft gears. The Crankshaft had the normal timing chain drive driving a cam with no lobes that drove the normal pontiac oil pump.

Some engines had the chain drive in front and some had the cam with no lobes driving the oil pump and a gear/ cogged belt drive system on the flywheel side of the engine.
(see link: http://www.wallaceracing.com/ohc-v8-cover.html

The engine on the cover of Hot Rod next to Mr Mackellar was a DOHC (4 cam) engine with the drive in the front.

The engine on the cover of Hot Rod at the right bottom had the cam drive located on the rear of the engine and was a SOHC (2 cam) engine.

Hope that helps Charlie. Rear drive cam used a timing belt.

Brabham engine used a chain drive.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:27 PM
Senior Chief

Was that Brabham engine one of Sir Jack's Repco efforts or was there a Brabham working OHC magic at Pontiac in the 60s?

Old 11-09-2018, 11:12 PM
Boost Engineer

Sir Jack's Repco OHC engine was designed for a 303 Pontiac Engine bottom end.
Trans Am type engine for a F-Bird. Most have no clue who Sir Jack was.

No "Brabham" worked as a full time GM employee for Pontiac Engineering to my knowledge.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:35 PM
Senior Chief

Mate. As a patriotic Aussie I am well-aware of who Sir "Black Jack" Brabham was haha. I never knew about him having a go at Trans-Am with an OHC Pontiac motor, however!

I would love to build an all-aluminium EFI DOHC 421ci Pontiac motor for my 64 Bonneville. Oh what could have been!

Old 11-10-2018, 09:20 AM
Boost Engineer

I will look at your website, Thanks for the link, mate.
I assume my friend Ian is one of your Pontiac Mates too.

Tom V.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its pretty easy to convert the current 6.2L Hellcat engine to a 7.0L 426.
Just a different reciprocating assembly.

My Hellcat goes in for the engine work next month. But I am not going to mess with the shortblock this go around. Just bolt ons.

Larger 95mm T/B, snout port, Demon plus cam & kit, ID1050X larger injectors, CNC the factory heads at BES, ARP head studs, 2" Stainless Works headers & 3" exhaust, Litens decoupling 2.72" upper supercharger pulley, larger idler pulleys, Fore dual fuel pump setup with return and Snow stage 2.5 water meth. Second fuel pump & water meth activated by a 5# boost switch on the blower.

These mods will get me into the hi 9's. Should be 850+ on the tire. On pump gas.

I already have the Demon 3.09 rearend in the car, and the Demon torque converter waiting for the engine mods.

Have the suspension modded some for a lower ride height, and a Per4mance diff brace with solid aluminum carriage bushings to make it go straight. Also 11" wide wheels in the back with Nitto 315/35X20 NT-05 drag radials, Nitto 285/35X20 NT-01 fronts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_susp.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	497592  

Old 12-25-2018, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom, i really like the left photo- OHC design, and wish it was pursued in modern aftermarket.
Perhaps the standard Modular cam drive chains and gears could be used.

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 12-25-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:46 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McQueen View Post

My Hellcat goes in for the engine work next month. But I am not going to mess with the shortblock this go around. Just bolt ons.

Larger 95mm T/B, snout port, Demon plus cam & kit, ID1050X larger injectors, CNC the factory heads at BES, ARP head studs, 2" Stainless Works headers & 3" exhaust, Litens decoupling 2.72" upper supercharger pulley, larger idler pulleys, Fore dual fuel pump setup with return and Snow stage 2.5 water meth. Second fuel pump & water meth activated by a 5# boost switch on the blower.

These mods will get me into the hi 9's. Should be 850+ on the tire. On pump gas.

I already have the Demon 3.09 rearend in the car, and the Demon torque converter waiting for the engine mods.

Have the suspension modded some for a lower ride height, and a Per4mance diff brace with solid aluminum carriage bushings to make it go straight. Also 11" wide wheels in the back with Nitto 315/35X20 NT-05 drag radials, Nitto 285/35X20 NT-01 fronts.
Are you on any of the Hellcat forums? I would like to follow your build. I think from the reading I have done, your car should go low 9's. I picked up a hellcat a while back still stock now but doing a lot of reading to decide what mods to do. Looks like you picked out all the best parts.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:01 PM
Suspended

Quote:

Me and a buddy of mine were just talking about this engine the other day and what it would take to convert my 3.5L-V6 Magnum wagon. Anyone know the cost of these crate engines and how difficult it would be to go from V6 to V8?

Old 12-25-2018, 08:52 PM
Boost Engineer

Very Happy for the Mopar Guys. Nice Christmas Present.

Tom V.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IHI is right down the road from me. If it weren't for the hour drive, I'd of taken their offer for a job a year ago. A dream place to work that I'll regret I'm sure not taking the job. Glad to see them doing well.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 01-02-2019, 10:30 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
Thank you Tom. Is there 2 timing belts or just one?
The Mickey Thompson Dragster Engine with the twin superchargers used two supercharger belts.

The Rear Cam gear engine used a normal Tining Chain driving a camshaft with no lobes on it that drove the oil pump and also drove a drive gear for the rear camshafts.

A unique adjustable cam slot gear allowed the drive system for the dual "rear driven" cams to have proper tension on the belt that drove them. Pontiac had some great camshaft engineers.

Tom V.

Hooter, I worked with a couple of IHI Turbo Engineers over a 10 year period and they were cool guys.
They liked Japanese Built Turbos. Never could really compete with Garrett or Borg Warner though in the Turbo game.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P. View Post
Are you on any of the Hellcat forums? I would like to follow your build. I think from the reading I have done, your car should go low 9's. I picked up a hellcat a while back still stock now but doing a lot of reading to decide what mods to do. Looks like you picked out all the best parts.
I am on Hellcat.org.
Unfortunately, I am still waiting to get the engine mods done. Have all the pieces, but I have had to put all of my focus on some medical issues over the last several months. Gettin old sucks.
I expect to be able to get back to the Hellcat by the end of this month.

What year H/C did you get?

Old 01-03-2019, 02:38 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I am on Hellcat.org.
Unfortunately, I am still waiting to get the engine mods done. Have all the pieces, but I have had to put all of my focus on some medical issues over the last several months. Gettin old sucks.
I expect to be able to get back to the Hellcat by the end of this month.

What year H/C did you get?
It is a 2016 stock with 12,000 miles. And I get the getting old thing.
Thinking of the hellraiser pully, demon injectors pin crank tune maybe the cam kit and all the needed add ons like driveshaft and brace. I will watch for your build.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another great Dodge ad.....

They are calling it the Hellephant. The 426 will be a factory installed option soon.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4&&FORM=VRDGAR

Old 01-16-2019, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P. View Post
It is a 2016 stock with 12,000 miles. And I get the getting old thing.
Thinking of the hellraiser pully, demon injectors pin crank tune maybe the cam kit and all the needed add ons like driveshaft and brace. I will watch for your build.
When its time for a driveshaft, get the CCI.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Another 'upgrade'

Stumbled on this last week. Having my early morning coffee, browsing on a website I frequent. Pushed into the 'for sale' section and almost shot hot coffee out my nose. FOR SALE....factory Demon supercharger. Owner switching to twin turbos. Low mileage (857).
The ULTIMATE Hellcat bolt on.
Long story short, I immediately jumped on it, and UPS delivered it yesterday.
These are very rare on the used market. And if you try to buy one from Dodge, you must prove you own a Demon with a VIN in your name.
I really like the little demon head cast into the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Demon_supercharger.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	506984  

Old 03-02-2019, 08:58 PM
Senior Chief

I saw that for sale, good score. What kind of power do think it will add?

Old 03-02-2019, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't buy it for the 6.2L in the car currently. But I will get it put on, so I can see what the difference is.
I ordered one of these a week ago.
http://gen3products.com/
The water version.
That block, a billet crank (3.875" stroke) and the Demon supercharger should make a hell of a 426. Not looking for more than 14-15# boost. Still going to be a total street car.

Also ditching the air to liquid supercharger cooling setup. In favor of this...
https://fiinterchillers.com/

The stage 2 version with a small 3 gal reservoir in the trunk will give the supercharger 30F-40F degree IAT's on a 100F degree day.

I already have their supercharger insulating spacers and the heat shield. Those parts alone make a big difference.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So what does a 1000 HP 426 cost over their counter?
So what is the Ford 700 HP offering and what does it cost OTC?