Old 07-31-2021, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az
Default looking for a stereo to put in my dash.....

The TA I am working on to drive was purchased without a stereo and the dash does not appear to have been cut out. So, am asking about what others have done putting a standard mount head unit ( not a din type ) , stereo in their Firebird?
Would prefer an aftermarket, would buy new or used, I do not need sirrus and other fancy stuff, do not need a disc player either. An aux input as well as a usb port would be nice if possible.
What have you used? and what is avail new or used, without breaking the bank. Would like something modestly priced. thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0744.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	570658  

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11

Last edited by Steve Barcak; 07-31-2021 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Steve. I just got a radio from Retrosound. The least expensive with aux is around $160 or so. I bought a fancier model, with sub output, Bluetooth, etc. I haven’t installed it yet, but heard them in other cars, and thought they sounded fine. They’re modular and fit nicely in a second gen bird, not too out of place either…I’m going to try to use factory bezel and knobs.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

RetroSound makes a good stereo. Way better than CustomAutoSound.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 09:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

After too much research, I picked up a RetroSound Hermosa for my GTO. Crutchfield had the best deal and the Hermosa seemed like a good balance of options without being over the top.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 09-05-2021, 02:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I like to used the 78 and newer Delco AM/FM cassette unit.

It looks like your dash is a 78....and this one fits and looks stock...

With new speakers...the sound quality is decent....and I'll bet you've got a box or two of cassette tapes stashed away somewhere.

Those decks can be found still for cheap at swap meets......

Old 09-05-2021, 07:41 PM
Senior Chief

I bought a Retrosound for my 1976. It only has an aux. USB, no other options. It sounds really good. I added one rear speaker to add to the one already back there. and a dual front to replace the single 4x 10. I have had it for a couple of months now and am really happy with it.

Old 09-28-2021, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
I like to used the 78 and newer Delco AM/FM cassette unit.

It looks like your dash is a 78....and this one fits and looks stock...

With new speakers...the sound quality is decent....and I'll bet you've got a box or two of cassette tapes stashed away somewhere.

Those decks can be found still for cheap at swap meets......
thanks for your input. Yes, it is a 78 gold special edition TA. I do have one already and tried to install it a few months back. It is huge for the openings in the back and I cannot see HOW they fitted that stereo in there but, I did try. Also, I really want something with an aux and or USB input

Hosting-
Old 09-28-2021, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
I bought a Retrosound for my 1976. It only has an aux. USB, no other options. It sounds really good. I added one rear speaker to add to the one already back there. and a dual front to replace the single 4x 10. I have had it for a couple of months now and am really happy with it.
Thanks for the tip. I may end up going this direction as have heard mostly good about them and they have the features I want

Hosting-
Old 09-29-2021, 05:34 AM
Suspended

Do they have a 'retro' original looking unit to suit single DIN cut dashes? I'll look later, just making convo.

Old 09-29-2021, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a nice clarion retro radio, speakers, and EQ up for sale, it fits the stock hole, no mods. It was in my 78. It’s like new.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hermosa mounting:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...&postcount=142

Old 09-29-2021, 09:20 PM
Senior Chief

It is amazing how big the original radio was. I could not believe how hard it was to get out, you have to turn it just right and how easy the Retro Sound radio was to install. Amazing how things get smaller and better. Driving around more this summer, I really like this radio. I can hook up my I pod to it and listen to all of my 60's car songs. There is quite a bit of car songs on I tunes.