Old 08-23-2021, 03:19 PM

Default Blower motor blowing fuses

Need some help from our Pontiac gurus.

Ran my car all weekend here in the Detroit area for Dream Cruise, everything was fine running AC on high. Last night on the ride home AC & blower stopped working. I checked this morning and the 30A fuse from the back of the alternator was blown, replaced it and immediately blew again when I turned on the blower motor switch

Could my blower motor be dying and causing a high current load to be blowing the fuse? Everything else in the car seems to work fine.
Any suggestions where to start looking for problems? Again nothing has changed in my electrical system at all.
thanks in advance

Old 08-23-2021, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like you found the problem, blower motor or switch ... I'd try unplugging the blower motor connector and see if the fuse still blows with the motor unplugged ... that would mean a short in the switch or wiring. If it doesn't blow with the motor unplugged then you know it's the blower motor. Could be a seized bearing in the motor (is it original?), could even be something caught in the squirrel cage.

Does it blow the fuse no matter what speed it's on?

Old 08-23-2021, 08:48 PM

yes, seems to blow at any speed, but not when the blower wire is disconnected. SO I'm 99% sure its the motor. Just didn't want to have to remove & replace it. It's very tight in that area with the AC stuff.

thanks for the help.

Old 08-24-2021, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck, it's pain to get in there.

Old 08-24-2021, 04:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a problem with a bent wire on the blower resistor touching the case.... check there first