The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-30-2021, 06:11 PM

Default Restoring 71 Endura bumper

I have read several posts about the steps to properly repair and restore Endura bumpers from the early 1970's but not a recommendation as to who can do this for me. I am getting ready for a repaint and would really prefer to have someone repair the rotted rubber and get it all primed and ready for paint. Any recommendations for someone in the NY,NJ or PA area?

1971 GTO Convertible 455 #64 Heads, HO intake and carb with MSD HEI, RAIII exhaust manifolds and 3:55 posi
Old 10-01-2021, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

cant provide a specific recommendation... but any reputable body shop or painter should be able to do it right. & if they've never worked on an endura bumber, just provide the steps & materials needed to do it how you want.

im sure others will chime in with some good shops in your area.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

cant provide a specific recommendation... but any reputable body shop or painter should be able to do it right. & if they've never worked on an endura bumber, just provide the steps & materials needed to do it how you want.

im sure others will chime in with some good shops in your area.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My painter tried valiantly to save mine. Stripping, key-notching cracks, flexible fillers, flex agent in the paint, etc. Every time it was ready to install, a new crack would appear just from handling to mount it on the body. I finally told him to just mount it paint it on the car one last time and call it quits.

After the first winter of storage, I found 2 new spider line cracks in it. If I had it to do over, I would have installed a fiberglass replica nose from Glasstek and spent my money fitting it instead of repairing the original.

If you are going for originality, I wish you luck finding a long lasting repair solution.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 10-01-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I media blast them and then build them up with multiple rounds of SPI epoxy and blocking. Takes some time but it is a lasting repair.

Don

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2021, 09:34 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
I media blast them and then build them up with multiple rounds of SPI epoxy and blocking. Takes some time but it is a lasting repair.

Don
This appears to be the best route without a doubt. You, Barry, and the rest of the SPI forum guys really seem to have it figured out. I definitely appreciate all your efforts.

http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.ph...28/#post-89847

Old 10-03-2021, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice detailed link!

Old 10-03-2021, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I repaired mine and primed/painted with great results. Just followed the proven procedures from this site.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:19 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy11 View Post
This appears to be the best route without a doubt. You, Barry, and the rest of the SPI forum guys really seem to have it figured out. I definitely appreciate all your efforts.

http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.ph...28/#post-89847
That's a very detailed instruction with pics. Thanks for sharing the link.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:18 PM

Great feedback and links. Thanks.

1971 GTO Convertible 455 #64 Heads, HO intake and carb with MSD HEI, RAIII exhaust manifolds and 3:55 posi
Old 10-30-2021, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing to be cautious about if you are having the Endura repaired/repainted off the car, is to preserve the body line at the top in the middle where it comes off the hood, as well as on the sides where it meets the fenders.

It is very easy to move these body lines when blocking the repair material or epoxy primer and you don't want to find this out after you paint!!

I found it best to block the bumper to around 80% done, then remount on the car and run masking tape along the body line from the sheet metal onto the Endura. Block sand up to the line, then remove tape and apply new tape on other side of body line, then block that side.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...