Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:49 PM

Default Multiport EFI & Stock Height Intake

I am building a Pro-Touring car with a 468 (6x-4 heads flow 257 cfm & compression ratio of 9:65:1). For an EFI since this will be road raced I’d like multiport with an ECU that has individual cylinder AF adjustment and knock sensors. That pretty much leaves me with the Holley HP or Dominator ECU or a Motec ECU. I would prefer to go round port so I can run some custom headers. The issue becomes is there a round port head that has 93 or greater CC chambers and what intake would I run on that that would fit under a shaker? The plan would be to build NA; run it a few years and then have heads and an intake that would support boost or a big cube combination.

Thank you for your help; the chassis shop wants to pre-fit the driveline soon and even running RAIII exhaust manifold I would need an stock height intake capable of multiport. Does a Hurricane with Super Victor fuel rails work for a D-Port and have room for expansion as a backup plan if there isn’t a round port combination?

Old 10-02-2021, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You could try to source some HO round port heads which have over 100cc's or Dave at SD Performance can build you a custom set of Edelbrock heads with 90+ CC's. I'm pretty sure no one offers an off the shelf large chamber like that. We have had great results with Dave's heads, however the wait list is usually quite long so it's best to order them before the build begins. If you are going EFI there are tons of options for ecu's. Holley, Fueltech, Haltech, Mega squirt etc. All of them are great and can do whatever you want. Keeping it under the hood should be relatively easy with an open plenum intake and a 4150 or 4500 throttle body which are readily available everywhere. They are very low profile.

1971 Trans Am Lucy Blue, 11.56 @ 115
1966 LeMans. 462, SD prepped Kaufman D ports. 11.90 @ 112
1976 Trans Am twin turbo 462, SD Edelbrock heads 8.50@159
2009 G8 GT

Last edited by ErikW; 10-02-2021 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Keeping it under the hood should be relatively easy with an open plenum intake and a 4150 or 4500 throttle body which are readily available everywhere. They are very low profile."

Agree. A conversation here that relates if interested....

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...light=Tomahawk

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 10-02-2021, 03:32 PM

Default EFI & Heafs

Thanks, I sent an email to Dave about the larger CC options whether it’s using the original 72cc E-heads and going to 100 cc’s or the newer 87 cc heads. At 100 cc’s my compression ratio would drop from 9:65 to 9:18; perfect for boost.

Paul Knippen is relocating his shop from Illinois to Ennis, Texas. I have inquired about the Hurricane and whether it would be a good choice for a high-end multiport system for a shaker assembly. I’m sure he’ll respond but if anyone knows if it’s a good choice and what brand of high flow fuel rails work with this intake my race shop can take it from there.

Thanks for your assistance.

Old 10-02-2021, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it helps I bought my Holley 550-500 HP EFI universal kit, fuel injectors and Dual Sync distributer thru Paul. His pricing was competitive, that and I like dealing with him.

I had my Victor intake modified locally for the injector bungs and mounts for the fuel rails.

( side note: My shaker scoop is mounted directly to my fiberglass hood. I do not have a hood clearance issue, thus the Victor intake is used )

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE

Last edited by Steve C.; 10-02-2021 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:33 PM

Thanks Steve. That was the basic kit I was thinking would meet my needs. It also has a optional module to run EGT probes in each header pipe($1100). Less expensive Holley units won’t allow this.

A Motec unit would be preferable but at about $4k more it’s data logging and advanced capabilities are probably beyond my needs. Tuning a Holley HP is also child’s play compared to the Motec. My shop is a distributor for both and the Holley has rarely failed. If it dies it’s because of a compromised power wire(not isolated to the battery) or an injector driver. If you ever have issues start there and buy a spare injector driver as insurance. The Motec is super reliable but that’s to be expected as it’s the ECU the majority of Pro Motorsports teams use.

Hopefully I can find a stock height intake. I suppose I could buy the Hurricane and have the shop try the Super Victor EFI rails (and return them if they don’t fit) but someone has a combo that will work with the E-heads and shaker.

I would like to avoid “drop-bases” as I’ll have more leeway to custom fit an elbow if I go to a turbo.