Old 11-19-2021, 01:56 AM

Default Will a 1961 Radiator fit a 1959?

I have a 59 pontiac that is dire need of a new/recored radiator. Here in Cali Central coast, I was quoted $900 to do the job. That is a crazy price....so I have been looking for a repop or just something that will fit. Cold case has a 61-64, just need to know if they are interchangeable.

Old 11-19-2021, 03:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no direct knowledge if they will interchange.
I can tell you that 55- 57 Pontiac was using a ladder style frame, in 58 they went to an X frame, and in 61 they went to a perimeter frame.

I would imagine that 55-57 interchange, 58-60 would interchange, then 61-64 would be the next group. Although I've owned a 56, 2,59s, and a 60, then a whole bunch of 61-64 cars, It's been way to long to remember interchanges between them. Just going on the frame changeovers, I would also think the core supports were altered too. 59 was first year for wide track, so it may only be 59-60 that interchange, as 58 is more narrow in the front than a 59 is. I'm just guessing, but from logic it would seem those years would be the same.

Best bet would be to ask on here for someone that still has a Hollander Interchange book to look it up for you. I know there are some members who own the older books here.

FWIW, I also looked in Champions listing, they show the same thing, nothing for 59, and it starts out with 61-64.

Looked at every option I could think of on the net, there is absolutely no listing for 59 radiators in aluminum , or brass that I could find.

Maybe someone on here has a used one, or knows somewhere else to find a new one........

Sorry I can't be of more help, good luck in your search.....

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 11-19-2021, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Parts book lists different numbers for 59-60 than for 61-64. Not considering the differences from Std Tr, HM, AC, Heavy duty, police, taxi and the other variants the numbers are different. Not to say they might not be made to interchange with a little ingenuity but I would be cautious