Old 10-25-2021, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Need NOS tie rods (5697492 and 5678805) for 1967 GTO

Would like to purchase NOS steering parts. Inner tie rod ends (5697492) and outer ends (5678805). Not sure but inner rods for later years (5678806) might work for my application. Will consider any offerings and other NOS or excellent condition low mileage used steering components to rebuild my 1967 GTO. Thanks.

Robert

6d7gto@gmail.com

Old 10-27-2021, 06:39 PM

NAPA has them available

Old 10-28-2021, 06:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAPA SAL View Post
NAPA has them available
NAPA has NOS ACDelco tie rod ends?

I don't think so...

Old 10-28-2021, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd suggest buying some NORS stuff off of ebay for the 71-72 tie rods. they were thicker diameter and will not bend in half at the adjuster like I've had happen to me on some 67,68 cars I've had. as long as you replace all 3 pcs they're interchangeable with the older 64-70 versions. I've picked up older 1970-80's stock of TRW and MOOG over the years for all my cars. new stuff is definitely garbage with softer "metal" and they definitely ride on the product names established when you could actually buy quality components. Sleeves aren't as critical to get old stock as the tie rods are.

TRW in the old blue and white boxes of the 80's, darker blue with repeated red TRW logo from 70s, Moog with the dark blue boxes with yellow that were all corrugated and not the shiny card paper.

Part numbers are the ES406L and ES406R on the rods. Sleeves were ES2004S

Of course now that I've said all this, I look on ebay and don't see any auctions I can point you to right now, but I'm sure some will pop up. I built a few complete sets for at least 3 cars for friends just last summer. If you decide you want to stay with the 67 sized tie rods, again, go for those clearing house auctions that bought old dusty stock from out of business parts stores with those ancient boxes and you get quality USA made components.

Plus side to all of this is it ends up actually being cheaper than buying garbage from the current Napa because everyone's afraid of dusty dirty boxes. -- just be aware of what you actually want because there are definitely examples out there with mismarked boxes someone's scribbled the right part number on the wrong box kind of thing.

here's some pics of those TRW and MOOG boxes. there were also the late 60's TRW you can find with tan and white boxes. those are good too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tierods.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	576422  

Old 10-28-2021, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On a Concours restoration, i wouldnt chase the later application pieces, it would be visibly incorrect on a 60's Pontiac A-body. Have been down a similar search path, sourced quite a bit of GM NOS tie rods/sleeves/ ball joints for my '71 & 72's. Some off eBay, some out of prev dealership stock cleanouts. Have also purchased quite a few old stock Moog pieces to compare, & have been using up those on lesser detail restorations. There is quite a bit of difference in appearance! ACDelco, NAPA, & any of the last 25 years subline cheap junk (anything avail in a "kit") will not work. Nice clean original centerlinks can be reused, they also have a date code on the front center.... Am short at leat one correct style NOS GM A-body idler arm, the one with the big hex shape on the bottom, am using nice used on one car. Later GM is incorrect on those as well, different design.

Love going through old parts stocks with dusty labels, it's when you get in a parts stock that the part numbers are too faded or smudged to read, it's a pain. Have several late 60's-mid 70's NOS GM center links & tierod ends still in blister packs that I'm struggling to ID. On the next big boneyard trip, will be taking them in the truck, hopefully some will be for a Riveria or something big that's halfway collectible.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 10-28-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4evr View Post
I'd suggest buying some NORS stuff off of ebay for the 71-72 tie rods. they were thicker diameter and will not bend in half at the adjuster like I've had happen to me on some 67,68 cars I've had. as long as you replace all 3 pcs they're interchangeable with the older 64-70 versions. I've picked up older 1970-80's stock of TRW and MOOG over the years for all my cars. new stuff is definitely garbage with softer "metal" and they definitely ride on the product names established when you could actually buy quality components. Sleeves aren't as critical to get old stock as the tie rods are.

TRW in the old blue and white boxes of the 80's, darker blue with repeated red TRW logo from 70s, Moog with the dark blue boxes with yellow that were all corrugated and not the shiny card paper.

Part numbers are the ES406L and ES406R on the rods. Sleeves were ES2004S

Of course now that I've said all this, I look on ebay and don't see any auctions I can point you to right now, but I'm sure some will pop up. I built a few complete sets for at least 3 cars for friends just last summer. If you decide you want to stay with the 67 sized tie rods, again, go for those clearing house auctions that bought old dusty stock from out of business parts stores with those ancient boxes and you get quality USA made components.

Plus side to all of this is it ends up actually being cheaper than buying garbage from the current Napa because everyone's afraid of dusty dirty boxes. -- just be aware of what you actually want because there are definitely examples out there with mismarked boxes someone's scribbled the right part number on the wrong box kind of thing.

here's some pics of those TRW and MOOG boxes. there were also the late 60's TRW you can find with tan and white boxes. those are good too!

This is great information! I will be staying with the thinner correct tie rods unless I simply can't find any good quality parts. Bottom line, I'd rather have good USA larger tie rods (that will be obviously incorrect for 1967 application) than modern repro 'correct' looking parts that are poorly made.

Old 10-31-2021, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
On a Concours restoration, i wouldnt chase the later application pieces, it would be visibly incorrect on a 60's Pontiac A-body. Have been down a similar search path, sourced quite a bit of GM NOS tie rods/sleeves/ ball joints for my '71 & 72's. Some off eBay, some out of prev dealership stock cleanouts. Have also purchased quite a few old stock Moog pieces to compare, & have been using up those on lesser detail restorations. There is quite a bit of difference in appearance! ACDelco, NAPA, & any of the last 25 years subline cheap junk (anything avail in a "kit") will not work. Nice clean original centerlinks can be reused, they also have a date code on the front center.... Am short at leat one correct style NOS GM A-body idler arm, the one with the big hex shape on the bottom, am using nice used on one car. Later GM is incorrect on those as well, different design.

Love going through old parts stocks with dusty labels, it's when you get in a parts stock that the part numbers are too faded or smudged to read, it's a pain. Have several late 60's-mid 70's NOS GM center links & tierod ends still in blister packs that I'm struggling to ID. On the next big boneyard trip, will be taking them in the truck, hopefully some will be for a Riveria or something big that's halfway collectible.
More great information! Can the center link joints be reused or can they possibly be rebuilt? My center link looks fine but it has 100,000 miles on it. I would go with low mileage original parts if anyone has them available.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still looking.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post

How do the date codes read? My original center link is stamped: 26 A6 315 or close to that...hard to read...especially the A6 which is really tiny. Unfortunately, the ball joints on the center link are kind of loose so I will not be using this part unless it can be rebuilt somehow. I appreciate your thoughts.

Also, still need nice original or NOS or USA made repro tie rods, etc. Thanks.

Robert

6d7gto@gmail.com