Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 11-01-2021, 04:00 PM

Default Horn Button Refurbish?

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is someone who can refurbish the plastic horn button or tell me how to go about doing it. The button is from a 1965 GTO deluxe steering wheel ring. I believe Scot Drake has done this type of thing for the Mustangs, but I am just looking for someone who can tell me the best way to freshen it up. I'd just like to buff out scratches on the face and maybe rechrome the back? The repops are not available for this horn ring. Any help is appreciated.

Scott Drake explains his process in this video on YouTube. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?v...66E347C6&q=how to restore plastic emblems&shtp=GetUrl&shid=a4a321e9-53fc-437a-bd82-4fd789ece6f2&shtk=UmUtY3JlYXRpbmcgQXV0aGVudGljIFZp bnRhZ2UgTXVzY2xlIENhciBFbWJsZW1z&shdk=UmVtZW1iZXIg d2hlbiBtdXNjbGUgY2FyIGVtYmxlbXMgd2VyZSBtb3JlIHRoYW 4gdGhlIHNpbXBsZSBwbGFzdGljIHZlcnNpb25zIHlvdSBzZWUg dG9kYXk%2FIFdhdGNoIGFzIG93bmVyIFNjb3R0IERyYWtlIGV4 cGxhaW5zIGhvdyBoaXMgY29tcGFueSBmb2xsb3dzIG9sZCBzY2 hvb2wgbWV0aG9kcyB0byBjcmVhdGUgYXV0aGVudGljIG11bHRp LWxheWVyZWQgZW1ibGVtcyBmb3IgdmludGFnZSBNdXN0YW5ncy 4gRm9yIG1vcmUgaW5mbyB2aXNpdCBodHRwOi8vd3d3LnNjb3R0 ZHJha2UuY29t&shhk=0%2FF3QVEkFiQXcilBg92IXiOFGANq3H Un6M3J3oZzlno%3D&form=VDSHOT&shth=OVP.-7-7crSvGmiHNOHee0VCkwEsDh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horn Button 1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	576748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horn button 2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	576749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horn button 3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	576750  

Old 11-01-2021, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’d look for a nOS one.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 11-01-2021, 06:31 PM

Thanks. I agree NOS would be ideal, but the plastic button isn’t available as a stand alone object as far as I can tell.

Old 11-01-2021, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbell View Post
Thanks. I agree NOS would be ideal, but the plastic button isn’t available as a stand alone object as far as I can tell.
To my knowledge, you are correct. For the plastic center, you can always try polishing it with plastic polish to remove the scratches. But the chrome part is of course pitted will need to be re-chromed to look new again. I can promise you the cost of re-chroming it will make your eyes water.

I recommend following the advice given above and looking for someone who has a lightly used or NOS example. It will be magnitudes less expensive than paying to re-chrome your existing piece. I just went through this search for my '66 in August. I found someone here that had one in perfect condition that had been sitting in a box for the past 45 years. Incredible.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 11-01-2021, 07:58 PM

WOW! That is one beautiful horn button! Yeah, If anyone has one, they haven’t come forward on FaceBook or anywhere else. I’m sending out my wheel for recasting and they will do the horn ring, knuckle and hopefully the horn center. I just need the button part. I’ve spent a fair amount on chrome and pot metal.