Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Testing a 6 volt starter

Have a starter from a 50's truck that I'd like to test. The local shops can't do it because they don't have a code for their new fangled test machines. I don't have a 6 volt battery but do have a 6 volt battery charger. Can I use the charger to test the starter?

Old 11-18-2021, 12:40 PM

You can test a 6 volt starter with a 12 volt battery, for the short period it runs it won't hurt anything.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2021, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes yes what Stuart said

If your just wanting to see if it will spin... 12 volts will be fine.

Use to leave starters alone, only switch/convert ignition, lights and charging, when putting 12 volt batteries in 6 volt farm tractors.

Reach out to stellar on here for a 2nd opinion
Clay

Old 11-18-2021, 12:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just testing for functionality, thanks for the replies.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

12 volts will really make it zing. Don't run vey long with 12 volts. If it is a big 6 volt charger with a high amp function like boost, that would be a good way to test. Set the charger to high. Some of the older chargers had a volt and an amp meter on them which could give you a better idea of the condition of the starter. 12 volts will give them little electrons a bigger push which could mask some problems, but 12 volts won't hurt anything for a quick test. Years ago i used to jump my 55 international 6 volt truck from a 12 volt car with no problems. Being that the starter is off the machine running on 12v will make it spin very fast.