The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 11-22-2021, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One more thing. There are spots where you find you can't get every speck of rust out. Like, pits and cracks/crevices. I used a rust inhibitor like Rustoleum to brush it into those areas. It helps to neutralize and seal the rust issue. It actually transforms the rust.

Old 11-22-2021, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How good do you really want it? An option would be to remove everything you can and take it to a MAACO or a similar operation. Doesn't look like it needs much rust work. Would save a bunch of money. That said, it sure won't be show quality but will likely look good from 10'! Probably get 5 years out of it or so. Myself, I've almost always painted my cars myself.....hell of a lot of work to do a really nice job but you won't go into cardiac arrest from the quotes you would get these days.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:26 PM

TJS72 lemans,

I was wondering about that. I was thinking about eastwoods fast etch for those little specks of rust I cant get to, but wasn't sure about what would happen to them later. Rust converter used sparingly sounds like good insurance.

Old 11-22-2021, 06:02 PM

Thanks CarCrazy,

I had thought about getting a cheap paint job like Maaco or some other place, but I didn't think I'd be happy with the end result. I tried to pm you, but it looks like your box is full.
Just wanted to say Hi since it looks like we are only about 45 mins from each other. Maybe I'll run into you at a car show in the area sometime. Thanks again.

Old 11-22-2021, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Before putting any "etch" type products on any bare metal, make sure they are compatible with primer you will be using.

SPI epoxy cannot be used over many (most) acid rust neutralizers.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 11-22-2021, 07:09 PM
Senior Chief

The DeVilbiss Pro Lite is also a forgiving gun that gives good result.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think an etch primer would do anything for rust. The rustoleum rust transformer I don't believe is an acid based product, so shouldn't be affected by SPI primer. I didn't have an issue with it.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:16 PM

Ok , got it. Learning a lot. Thanks guys.

Old 11-22-2021, 11:42 PM
Senior Chief

So much great info and suggestions in this post. Interesting how many here are on the same page with their suggestions.

I’ll second or third the vote for SPI products. The forum on their site is also loaded with knowledge and friendly people. It’s great when you think about having “free” access to knowledgeable and sometimes pro painters that want and often go out of their way to help you. If you’ve ever visited other paint forums, you’ll know that many (most? All? Lol) are not an inviting place for people trying to learn!

I can’t say enough good things about SPI Epoxy. Check out Ospho for treating those hard to get to places or pitted areas you just can’t seem to eradicate. I think it’s also the only “rust treatment” SPI recommends and approves of.

Anyways, great looking car you have there, can’t wait to see your progress as you move along!

Old 11-23-2021, 12:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Have you seen my build thread?
I am documenting the details of my body work and paint on my '69.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 11-23-2021, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There’s a small learning curve. And a bus load of tools to buy… Your better off buying one all done,for 1/3 of the cost….plus you’ll be driving it…not working on it for 5 years…after you lose interest.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I read most of the thread, but didn't see any mention of a clean air supply for painting. You'll need very clean air with no moisture in it when painting. I'm not a professional painted but have done spraying, and it is so much fun. Same with body metal work. It was the best part of restoring a car to me. I just love welding. I always put the car on a rotisserie. Way easier to work on. I didn't spray final color. Had a friend spray it for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chucks camera 2012 445.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	578416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chucks camera 2012 450.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	578417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chucks camera 2012 460.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	578418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chucks camera 2012 999.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	578419  

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:01 PM

Entropy11,

Thanks , I'm pretty much all in for using SPI and their process. I like their support and forum too.

Roger1,

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out your build thread.

Muslcah,

I respect your reply and realize that for most people in my situation it is solid advice, however, most of my self worth has come about by proving people wrong as it relates to what I'm capable of. I don't fail. I know my car will be off the road for extended periods of time, but my goal will be to keep it road ready ( even if i'm driving it while it is "under construction") during the process. Mechanically it is sound and runs and drives great. This will not be a body off frame restoration. I've owned this car for 17 yrs. during that time I've sold my 73 Mustang conv, 1970 fastback torino, 68 gt torino fastback, 72 camaro, and my 70 383, 4sp roadrunner. All were running and mostly "good" shape. This car will be finished. It is a part of me.

Having said all that I appreciate your advised and would love to continuing to hear from you along the way to completion. Thanks.

Chuckies76TA,
Right on about the clean air and moisture comment. I will remember that. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:51 PM
Senior Chief

I feel like my car is apart of me since my dad originally bought it in 2005. That being said Muslcah makes a great point. The first time I drove my car was March 2005 on the way back from the depot it was dropped off at by the transport. The next time I drove it was July of this year, 6 months after my dad passed, yes 16 years. He did see it almost done. Things snowball quick and time flies. My only consolations are, my dad saw it about done and I know exactly what I have after doing a frame off. I also know I could have bought TWO really nice cars for the price or have been driving one really nice one the last 16 years. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-23-2021, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get an air fed respirator. Know what your getting into
Look up isocyanate poisoning or sensitization .

Not something to mess around with…

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 11-23-2021, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Spray zep floor wax on the floor the night before you spray w a pump sprayer and you wont have any dust from the floor .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 11-23-2021, 02:15 PM

Davesgto,

Agreed. I think this car is too nice and not that rare of a car to do a restoration like you did. It was a one owner w/ protect o plate and it was ordered with the endura frt clip, but it is still a lemans sport at the end of the day. I just want a nice gto clone that can be put back original if a future owner wants to. At 57 I've got to be realistic I can't wait another 10-15 yrs to finish it and if I wanted to spend 50k or more I would take the previous advise given and buy a real gto finished, but I still would never be comfortable driven a 50k-60k dollar car on a daily basis. When I finish this car I want to be able to drive it and park it anywhere I go. Just like I do now. This is the perfect car for that. If I was Still in my 30s or 40s it would be a different story, maybe, but if I had a dollar for every time I saw a classic car for sale that said selling due to illness, I'd be rich. When your young and healthy you feel invincible. That's how I felt until October of last year. I'm still healthy, but life is fragile and can be scary. I'm not sure how old you are, but when you have a health scare and your friends are dropping like flies it can mess with your head a little or wake you up. Let's face it 70 yrs or so is about all we've got on the earth as far as crawling around cars and what not. There comes a time when one has to pick and choose their projects to finish. I'm there.

Old 11-23-2021, 02:19 PM

Turbo69bird,

Roger that. Good advice thanks.

Old 11-23-2021, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesGTO View Post
I feel like my car is apart of me since my dad originally bought it in 2005. That being said Muslcah makes a great point. The first time I drove my car was March 2005 on the way back from the depot it was dropped off at by the transport. The next time I drove it was July of this year, 6 months after my dad passed, yes 16 years. He did see it almost done. Things snowball quick and time flies. My only consolations are, my dad saw it about done and I know exactly what I have after doing a frame off. I also know I could have bought TWO really nice cars for the price or have been driving one really nice one the last 16 years. Just sayin.
Truth...

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 11-24-2021, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Entropy11,

Thanks , I'm pretty much all in for using SPI and their process. I like their support and forum too.

Roger1,

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out your build thread.

Muslcah,

I respect your reply and realize that for most people in my situation it is solid advice, however, most of my self worth has come about by proving people wrong as it relates to what I'm capable of. I don't fail. I know my car will be off the road for extended periods of time, but my goal will be to keep it road ready ( even if i'm driving it while it is "under construction") during the process. Mechanically it is sound and runs and drives great. This will not be a body off frame restoration. I've owned this car for 17 yrs. during that time I've sold my 73 Mustang conv, 1970 fastback torino, 68 gt torino fastback, 72 camaro, and my 70 383, 4sp roadrunner. All were running and mostly "good" shape. This car will be finished. It is a part of me.

Having said all that I appreciate your advised and would love to continuing to hear from you along the way to completion. Thanks.

Chuckies76TA,
Right on about the clean air and moisture comment. I will remember that. Thanks.
Also known as a “Rolling Restoration “ ….which is the best kind…if you ask me. Iam not into taking every nut and bolt out of my ride and making it bettah than it was ,when it was built. I like to drive my 67 GTO…and not worry about a rock chip …life is too short.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post: