Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-25-2021, 09:39 AM
Senior Chief

Default Re-chrome or Repop?

My date-correct for my car 428 has the original chrome air cleaner and valve covers but they are rusty. I've heard that the repop units are much thinner metal and not as good a quality as the originals, and have seen others searching for the original factory pieces. Not sure what blasting & re-chrome costs would be.

Is it worth it to have these re-chromed?

Current Project:
'67 Catalina Convertible
400 4-spd
Old 11-25-2021, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would say it’s worth it to use the factory items, but they need to go to a shop that does the whole process right and does not just apply enough Chrome to get a shine back!
The last set of Moroso Chrome valve cover a got to replace my first set that I got back in 79 where plated so cheaply that they rusted up in 3 years instead of 22 years!
And yes both sets where waxed up the same to protect them.

Call up a well known restoration shop and find out who they send there parts to for good Chrome plating work.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 11-25-2021, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I opted to install repop chrome lid and valve covers on my 70 Formula and have absolutely no regrets. Quality is fine. I still have the originals regardless.

Out here in Arizona I think we are down to 1 or 2 platers left. We had at least 6 that I knew of years ago. It's also gotten to the point that chrome plating is now ridiculously expensive. Restoring cars here I sometimes have people that insist on rechroming original pieces and I've seen bills as high as $4,000 for a handful of parts that fit in the back of a Prius.
Some here have resorted to sending them off to Mexico with Jose where they can be plated cheaper, but sometimes don't get all their stuff back. Had that issue with a 65 Cyclone Comet I restored that has irreplaceable chrome trim.

It's for these reasons that when it comes to small parts like air cleaners, valve covers, and small trim, I just buy repop if it's available and find 9 times out of 10 they look and fit just fine and are more than good enough for a very nice restoration, let alone a nice driver.

Most people don't even realize it but when it comes to pieces like chrome valve covers and air cleaner lids on many cars they were just flash chrome from the factory anyway and weren't very nice to begin with. Most of the repop stuff is way nicer than they ever were when new.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 11-25-2021, 10:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used these guys for my original tri power lids, very nice work, they were $450 shipped

404 Broadway
Houston, Texas 77012
sales@speedsportchrome.com

Old 11-25-2021, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been using the repop ones for years no with no issues.All have been non dripper units.Tom

Old 11-25-2021, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I have been using the repop ones for years no with no issues.All have been non dripper units.Tom
Same here. They've been on my Formy for 15 years and still look new. I just bought another set for my BBC about a year ago, fit and finish is excellent. What was laughable about those, they only cost $30 from NPD. So I threw in new tabs, bolts, grommets, and the crank case elbow as well as the Tonawanda sticker and it all still came in under $100 shipped to the house.

The originals for the car I had rechromed 35 years ago and spent $100 back then. Guess what that would cost today.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 11-25-2021, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll always favor using original, American made parts on our cars, but sometimes it's hard to justify the cost of restoring original parts. Chrome is a great example. The cost of replating chrome is sky high (not because of the shops), and our reproduction stuff comes from places I'd rather not give money to.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 11-25-2021, 12:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here in San Diego, a lot of platers just have a store front local where they also do final polishing. The actual plating is done in Tijuana.

455/469 w/ #48 Heads, '65 Tri-Power
9.25:1 CR
Stump Puller Cam
Muncie M22W 1st-2.56 2nd-1.75 3rd-1.37 4th-1.00
3.55 Rear Differential
Front: 225/60R15 Height: 25.6"
Rear: 275/60R15 Height: 28"
Old 11-25-2021, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I had breather stacks put in a set of factory covers,I had them chromed and I think it was over $300 about 4 years ago.Tom

Old 11-25-2021, 02:23 PM

Default Spray chrome

Some of the new spray chrome processes look pretty interesting. Anyone have any experience with them?