Old 01-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Senior Chief

Default Upper Radiator Hose Detail(s)

I’m looking for input on the proper detail markings on a 1970 GTO upper radiator hose. I’ve seen a few with a pale yellow stripe and others with a blue stripe on the top of the hose running the full length. Most of them have the part number stamped in white near the radiator end. Any input on correctness is appreciated.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you seen this one off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/64-65...Q5fAccessories

Old 01-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Those ones on epay are incorrect. Ask john at motorcitymuscle.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:53 PM

What's wrong with them? Can you get correct ones?

Old 01-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The yellow stripes with the part # is correct with the stamp that has the arrow and says "to radiator". It does not say GM on it. Check with john at motorcitymuscle, i'm sure he has some good pictures.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

contact henley, not to knock inline AT ALL but i think hes more of a 69 GUY like me

AC Cobra Kit Car 521 670 HP/715 Trq
LOOKING FOR V PARTS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Chief

I've attached a few photos of the stripe and markings I'm referring to. Unfortunately I could not find any photos of ’69 or ’70 Judges with these details. The photos are of 1967 Corvettes. At this year’s POCI Points Judging there were a few cars with similar stripes. I did not have any points deducted for not having the markings but if they are correct I want to replicate them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vette Hose 1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	155823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vette Hose 2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	155824  

Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The hoses that i have seen that are original always have a stripe - have seen it in white and yellow. The stripe is broken every few inches for the date code of the hose, and at the radiator end it has the arrow with part number and says radiator. This was there to direct the assembly line worker which direction the hose went. Inline tube sell the radiator end stamp. The hoses most sell with the GM and part number in white in the center of the hose I have never seen just like the GM heater hose. The picture is a low mile GTO -look at the hose - sorry it is small

Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Senior Chief

The 69 assembly manual also states to place the "hose with the arrow to the radiator" suggesting the hose has an arrow as stated. Just another reinforcement for an arrow.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcitymusclecar View Post
The hoses that i have seen that are original always have a stripe - have seen it in white and yellow. The stripe is broken every few inches for the date code of the hose, and at the radiator end it has the arrow with part number and says radiator. This was there to direct the assembly line worker which direction the hose went. Inline tube sell the radiator end stamp. The hoses most sell with the GM and part number in white in the center of the hose I have never seen just like the GM heater hose. The picture is a low mile GTO -look at the hose - sorry it is small

Thanks for the input. I went back and looked at the restoration photos of the Cardinal Red Ram Air IV Convertible restored by Scott Tiemann. That car has a blue stripe with the radiator arrow stamp and GM Part number in yellow. I’ll go ahead and buy the radiator stamp from Inline Tube. What is the best paint to use for applying the stamp and stripe?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use red devil latex paint or similar as you will do quite a bit of stamps to get the right effect and the stamps are rubber. Oil based paints need solvent to clean them up and will attack the stamp and ruin it very quickly. Soak a rag with simple green or spray nine and as soon as you stamp your hose clean the stamp asap since the paint will load it up. Thats how I did all mine. Regarding the stripe color, I had mine done in blue but I have seen yellow and white too on the 69's and 70's.

The rad hose thing is an item one of the parts houses like our host, ames or inline should jump on to make and sell a correct, stamped, striped hose, It's long overdue and it doesn't seem like it would need a big outlay at all for the equipment to make correct striped stamped hoses either. How about you John? They would compliment all your stamps and other detail items for sure.

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.

Last edited by Mark Simiele; 01-27-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the hoses here and was thinking about doing it but it is time consumming and plenty of the other guys have the wrong hose for sale for $20.00 and when mine is $25.00 nobody buys it. So I sell the radiator end stamp with the arrow and the stripe you have to put on yourself. You can buy the stamper and use it and lend it to all you buddies.

I would research that blue hose stripe more - I know Tieman like to use it but i have never seen it on a 69-72 it might of been on the earlier cars 64-67 but not on the later.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I have the hoses here and was thinking about doing it but it is time consumming and plenty of the other guys have the wrong hose for sale for $20.00 and when mine is $25.00 nobody buys it. So I sell the radiator end stamp with the arrow and the stripe you have to put on yourself. You can buy the stamper and use it and lend it to all you buddies.

I would research that blue hose stripe more - I know Tieman like to use it but i have never seen it on a 69-72 it might of been on the earlier cars 64-67 but not on the later.
After more research I beleive that the yellow stripe is correct for '69 and '70. I looked through the Inline Tube catalog and could not find the upper radiator hose you mentioned. What's the part number and any difference between yours and the "others"?

Thanks

Old 01-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unfortunately, I can't guarantee if this is original or not, but this came off a late '70 w/original radiator. As you can see, it has worm clamp marks on it (but also what I believe to be the tower marks). I saw no other striping or marks (I take that back, there were molding marks and I can get a picture of that, if needed).

And, I don't believe Inline's stamp would be correct for '70.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	546498RadiatorHose.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	155977  

Old 01-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile hoses..

I have a yellow stamped one.. I thought the yellow ones were GM replacements.. White was period correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Unfortunately, I can't guarantee if this is original or not, but this came off a late '70 w/original radiator. As you can see, it has worm clamp marks on it (but also what I believe to be the tower marks). I saw no other striping or marks (I take that back, there were molding marks and I can get a picture of that, if needed).

And, I don't believe Inline's stamp would be correct for '70.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Senior Chief

How does GTOAA Concourse Judging evaluate this level of detail? Like I mentioned earlier, POCI did not deduct any points for my engine compartment. I'm planning on competing in both POCI and GTOAA Points Judging this summer.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It all depends on the judges, most likley there would be no point deduction for hose markings but every detail and point gets you closer to the gold. If all the cars have the markings and yours does not it may be a deduction. There is no set rules that are that specific. I think belts and hoses are worth 5 points. I would make sure the hoses are the correct shape at least and you did not use cogged belts and you will be fine. The markings are a bonus and seperate your car from the rest.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundportponchos
I have a yellow stamped one.. I thought the yellow ones were GM replacements.. White was period correct
Well, they must have replaced both upper and lower on this one and re-used the original tower clamps. Notice lower is stamped one number off from part number.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9790276RadiatorHose.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	156078  

Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ditto on what John said. All my stamps, decals, stripes, over spray and markings got me no extra points and I knew that but they just look great.

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I know 1970 cars have a blue/green stripe on the upper and a tan/cream'sih stripe on the bottom hoses. I am pretty sure all radiator hoses of this period from Pontiac had some sort of stripe on it.I know TA's used white ink on their hoses, I had always thought GTO's used the yellow ink. If anyone is interested in the stripes, post and i can take pictures of the NOS set I have.. I have replicated these stripes for others before using pinstriping tape. Use 3/16" tape and have a rag with thinner ready to clean up the "run-through" of the ink. Due to the uneveness of the hoses surface, ink will run out of the tapes opening..Ink made specifically for polyethelene is the best to use. It is what GM used then and currently uses. Hitt Marketing has this ink..Get their blue and yellow and mix to get the blue/green color...I have seen solid blue stripes made and it just doesn't look right.. Their ink is also good to replicate the red stripe on power steering hoses.. this type of ink will not rub off or wash off/smear. takes paint thinner and a lot of scrubbing to remove it, just like the originals/current GM uses. It is code 628...Plus last year it was 112$ for 8 oz, now it is $38 ..they must have found an overseas supplier or something.. definately more affordable now...