Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 01-11-2015, 06:19 PM

Default Rear coil spring hold down

My 67 GTO new rear springs have been moving out if location or falling out if I lift my car on a 2 post lift or just jack it up. I'm aware that the 66 gto has different spring design then a 67. But the 66 has a lower spring hold down. would anybody know if you can use that hold down bracket from the 66 on the 67? Or a different view on how to solve this problem. All input is welcome

Old 01-11-2015, 06:32 PM

You can modify the lower spring seat on your axle housing to accept the early spring clamps without too much work. Cut and grind off the spring locating tube on the spring seat and weld in a piece to make the seat flat. Drill a 1/2" clearance hole and you're ready to use the early spring clamp plates.

Had this mod done to a '72 rear that's installed in my '64 so the springs would stay put if the suspension ever topped out while driving aggressively. I have lowering springs so their free height is shorter than stock springs.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems like the shocks you have are too long , install the correct length and you will be fine .

Old 01-11-2015, 08:45 PM

chrisp you might be on to something, I put new AC Delco Air shocks on. Even dumping all the air did not help. I could do the mod b man brought up or get a taller spring. The mod would still have the top of the spring coming lose with wight of of it. Not ideal. The buick springs are 2-3 in. taller witch might make up the gap.