THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2022, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I decided to retire last month.

Like most things in life it's a leap-of-faith. Every year I kept telling myself, one more year, pay off some more debt, sell a few more things I'm never going to use again, build up the investments some more, and still I just kept working.

Then a year ago January one of my very best friends died from COVID. He had worked for Wendy's for over 30 years, had his own vending machine company, and saved and saved for retirement. He went at 62, and had plans of selling his house to his son and buying a big toyhauler and diesel truck to live in and pull around his Roadking. He wanted to live the dream, and sadly passed away less than a year later and never got to do any of it.

Kind of a wake-up call for me, as my friend was in good health and should have had many years left to enjoy the fruits of his labors.

Instead of working 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week I'm doing quite a few "bucket-list": projects, throwing more sticks for my dogs, spending more time with the family, etc.

I'm still selling parts for a while, until someone either buys the business or a deplete the inventory and sell off all the equipment and cores, etc.......

I am on the same game plan as you, Cliff. Good for you. I was more or less forced into retirement in 2013 at 56 years old. If I wanted to preserve my pension, myself and many others had to go. If you have enough $$ to make it work, I congratulate you and know you will love your decision. I had to immediately go back to work because I quickly found 40% of my retirement income going to health care for my wife and I. Now as I approach 65 next year I am going to do the same as you Cliff. On my 65th birthday, I am closing shop, signing up for medicare, and hopefully enjoying some retirement fun. Good for you Cliff. BTW, I sent you a PM if you get a chance. Thanks.