Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-23-2024, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got distracted for a few weeks on a 60 year old Cat D7 dozer; now I'm back at it.

Pulled the front driver's seat out and now I have more room to work.

Looks like the purple wire doesn't go straight from the ignition switch to the NSS; there's a connector.

Anyway, still looks like my problem is somewhere in the purple wire between the ignition switch and the NSS, so that's where I'm going to focus.

Old 02-04-2024, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fixed that MOTHER******!

As I mentioned below, I noticed there was a purple wire going in to a connector right above the gas pedal. From there, two purple wires split off of it, going under the carpet, so it made sense that the two purple wires were going to the NSS, one input and the other output. I couldn't tell exactly where the single purple wire coming in to the connector originated (all taped up with other wires) but I checked continuity with it and the purple wire at the ignition switch and confirmed they were the same.

Then I noticed the hack job; it appears that Ray Charles did some electrical work on the car at some point. Some genius had spliced in a white wire, and then a red wire into the solitary purple wire going into the connector by the gas pedal (other end connected to the ignition switch). The spliced in wires were about 20" long altogether and added 3 butt connectors, so I'm guessing one or more of the connectors had a lousy crimp. What I don't understand is why they didn't just connect purple to purple? That's exactly what I did (yes, I used solder and shrink wrap) and now it spins over nicely.

Anyway, I'm doing a preliminary victory dance. I still want to pull the starter one more time to clean up the wiring, but I think this is done.

Thanks for all the input!

Scott

Old 02-04-2024, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

👍 nice!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well done!

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Woo hoo!

Way to stick with it and sorry it required crawling on the floorboard. Never a fun time... Great to hear you found the cause and were able to fix it.

I do like happy endings!

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post: