Old 04-15-2021, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do LEO’s “inspect” every car bought/sold in you guys states?
Only time a LEO looks in our state is when the car comes from a different state.

Your LEO’s must be much sharper than ours. The last time a had an older car “inspected “ I had to show the officer were the VIN was. He’d never seen a car that didn’t have it on the dash.

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 04-15-2021, 11:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
So where do you get the Vin when you buy one of these.
Let’s hope they never do a GTO body, as it is, there’s no Lemans left

https://realdealsteel.com/c-1105810-...-57-chevy.html
I'm optimistic that they won't make a repro 70-73 body shell.......not enough tags and titles out there...to support the sales....

Old 04-15-2021, 12:22 PM
Senior Chief

A friend built a 67 corvette replica out of a kit years ago. Pretty sure he registered his vin with the DMV and was issued a title. I’ve seen the full 69 firebird chassis’ in the catalogs and just assumed that’s how it still works.,

Old 04-17-2021, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
This is part of the problem?
The 'car' is rust free plain jane Tempest. Paid $500 for it.
Puts a GTO VIN from a rare option car. (RA IV?)
Now it's worth $90,000?
Which still isn't real bad but the guy sells it as a Real RA IV GTO numbers matching all original 10 miles on it.

That's illegal.

How exactly is that different from taking a GTO and replacing the lower fire wall, floor pans, inner outer and. Quarters trunk floor lid hood etc with all China or non GM sheet metal and calling it a Pontiac. At least this “whole body “ was made in a Pontiac plant, welded together by Pontiac, with original Pontiac sheet metal on a Pontiac jig , that could all have been a GTO or a Lemans on that very day depending on which order it was selected
Which one is more legitimate, or representative of a 69 Pontiac GTO?

I don't know which is right really, But when I restore my car I’m keeping as much original metal on the car as I can and anything else I can will be NOS, but my car isn’t in bad shape. What about a guy w a really rotted shell?

I believe an argument can really be made fo either in this situation, but I find the question very interesting. For the reasons I’ve already posted .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 04-17-2021, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakerz View Post
A friend built a 67 corvette replica out of a kit years ago. Pretty sure he registered his vin with the DMV and was issued a title. I’ve seen the full 69 firebird chassis’ in the catalogs and just assumed that’s how it still works.,
I can assure you there’s Chevy guys buying dyno corn bodies and titling them as originals. But that’s a whole Different story. We are talking original GM rust free
Body here as far as I can tell out of a GM plant at the same basic time frame.
An aftermarket body opens up a whole different can of worms. And I’m

Not knocking Chevy guys here but they work on a whole different set of rules from what I’ve seen. Especially when it comes to non restored, resto mod stuff etc.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 04-17-2021, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
How exactly is that different from taking a GTO and replacing the lower fire wall, floor pans, inner outer and. Quarters trunk floor lid hood etc with all China or non GM sheet metal and calling it a Pontiac. At least this “whole body “ was made in a Pontiac plant, welded together by Pontiac, with original Pontiac sheet metal on a Pontiac jig , that could all have been a GTO or a Lemans on that very day depending on which order it was selected
Which one is more legitimate, or representative of a 69 Pontiac GTO?
The aftermarket parts do not have a VIN.
If the original VIN is changed, the State should be informed and probably a State issued VIN tag put on.

Before I left IL, they were making it illegal to 'junk' a car out at the salvage yard without a corresponding title for it.
(the yard had to turn in the VIN and titles to the state)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-17-2021, 11:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I believe it's the same scenario in Washington State......on scrap/junk cars..and has been for about 10 years...

Old 04-18-2021, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
I'm optimistic that they won't make a repro 70-73 body shell.......not enough tags and titles out there...to support the sales....
Pro touring builds would not care about a cowl tag or even a correct VIN.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Pro touring builds would not care about a cowl tag or even a correct VIN.
In California they would....

74 and earlier are smog exempt...

Old 04-18-2021, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
In California they would....

74 and earlier are smog exempt...
This would be a kit car though...

Old 04-18-2021, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PA has always needed a title to accompany a scrap car for the last 50 + years that I have been around cars.

Ohio is the same way, I scrapped a school bus about 8 years ago and had to get the title in my name before they'd scrap it. I never bothered to transfer it into my name in Ohio and I had bought it in TN. I had to pay for the transfer and have the title in my name before they'd take the bus into the yard. Good thing I still had the bill of sale that I already paid TN tax on it, or they would have charged me the tax on the sale price of the bus too.

With all the cars advertised on Craigslist and Marketplace without titles, the only way you can get rid of them is to cut them up into small pieces that you can throw in the back of a truck. Yards here won't take them for fear they're stolen. If they buy it from you without documentation, then they're receiving stolen goods. They do come out to the car and compare the title to the VIN, plus they get photo ID from you, and copy it.

Recently one of the yards in town got harassed by the state police for not having titles for all the cars on premises, they had to pay a fine, and they quit buying cars entirely, said it wasn't worth the hassle.

When I lived in PA getting rid of a car without title was really tough unless you knew someone in a yard that you could tell to just smash/shred the car as soon as you dropped it off, and send it to the mill the same day. I knew people that buried cars on their property because they had no titles for them, rather than cut them into small chunks to get rid of.

Years ago, before yards had car shredders, cutting a car up usually meant with a cutting torch, and when the price of scrap was $15 a ton it wasn't worth the gas and labor to cut one up, so if they had a backhoe, or excavator, they dug a hole and buried them.

I know where a lot of cars are buried in and around Erie PA, some are legitimate, some not so much....LOL

I also remember taking junk engines apart because they wanted all the steel, cast iron, and aluminum separated. You had to be damn near broke to do all that work to separate all the different metals so you could sell them for scrap. Filthy, hard labor, for hardly any money at all, sometimes you barely broke even after you factored in the gasoline to drive to the yard.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated