Old 12-19-2020, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 76 TA restoration

A friend of mine has his original high school car.Been stored indoors for 30 years.When he was young he had the cam intake and carb and headers added.He has a 455 4 bolt block and a set of 48 heads.I though he should sell the block and heads and build his numbers engine as like a 467 sleeper stock car.He still has the original intake a calif QJ.He wants to upgrade the suspension up to modern standards.It has 6S heads.He is not up to doing a LS conversion.It now has a Art Carr T400 with NO2.The interior is REALLY nice,paint is really nice,not afraid to spend serious money.Thought on which engine to go?400 stroker or a 455 with the 48 heads and a kit.Will be 9.5 CR pump gas engine which ever way we go.It is also a A/C car.Tom

Old 12-20-2020, 01:37 AM
Suspended

Is this a typical American thing, for the well-off families to present their kid in school with a new car? Seems a common story, just not anywhere else that have to work hard to afford some rough piece of crap as their first car.

Old 12-20-2020, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78Formula View Post
Is this a typical American thing, for the well-off families to present their kid in school with a new car? Seems a common story, just not anywhere else that have to work hard to afford some rough piece of crap as their first car.
not typical at all for most areas of the country, aside from maybe the super rich cities or school districts...most kids got hand me downs or borrowed parents cars or had jobs to buy the rough pieces of crap. & he didnt say this was bought new for him, i had a very nice 1978 T/A in high school too but it was a 10 year old car & nowhere near the price of a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
A friend of mine has his original high school car.Been stored indoors for 30 years.When he was young he had the cam intake and carb and headers added.He has a 455 4 bolt block and a set of 48 heads.I though he should sell the block and heads and build his numbers engine as like a 467 sleeper stock car.He still has the original intake a calif QJ.He wants to upgrade the suspension up to modern standards.It has 6S heads.He is not up to doing a LS conversion.It now has a Art Carr T400 with NO2.The interior is REALLY nice,paint is really nice,not afraid to spend serious money.Thought on which engine to go?400 stroker or a 455 with the 48 heads and a kit.Will be 9.5 CR pump gas engine which ever way we go.It is also a A/C car.Tom
to answer your question with my opinion, i would definitely keep the original engine for the car, whether that means you pull it & store it or build it to use in the car. the price of a stroker kit or pieced together isnt that much these days & selling the 455 could probably finance most of that. but then again, building the 455 he already has would be an easy way to make some good HP & not turn the original engine into a stroker. all depends on what he plans to do with the car, if hes keeping it or intends to sell it afterwards. personally i'd build the original engine & keep the car #'s matching for resale value.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What was the topic again?

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-20-2020, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is the original block a 557? If so, it doesn't make sense putting a stroker crank in it. I love the sleeper idea and if he's putting modern suspension stuff on it why not go aluminum heads with the writing ground off?

Old 12-20-2020, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to check the block when it comes out.He only has a 455 block and a set of 48 heads.The kid was a deck hand on week ends,worked his ass off his whole life.Came from a commercial fishing family!FWIW,Tom

Old 12-20-2020, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bet it is the 557!That will make the choice more EZ.Tom