Old 02-22-2021, 12:39 AM

Default Motor mount

Has anyone ever used the motor mount adapter kit from Ames to put a 76 up motor into the earlier cars,,, 59 thru 74? If so how did it work out? Any info would help me out so i don't waste my time. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe the '69 and later engines had five holes machined into the block for mounts. Two of the five holes still match the two-hole mounts used before '69. The need for an adaptor arises when putting an older block into '69 or newer chassis.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-23-2021, 01:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In 1977 the factory eliminated the previous 2 hole option on the 400 and 301, and later on in the 265 engines, post 1976 engines only had the 3 hole late style holes beginning in the 1977 model year, Using the 1977 and later engine in a 1969 and earlier chassis does require those adapters.

I started making adapters back in 1977 before anyone sold them aftermarket. They are okay for a daily driver, but I would hesitate to use them on a car that had sticky tires on it without a limiting device. You'll need to run some type of limiter on the drivers side if you intend to use the car hard with adapters. I personally use a 3/8 inch turn buckle from the left front cylinder head area to the frame so the torque twisting motion is limited by the turnbuckle rather than the adapted mount setup. they can tend to twist the adapters after awhile with abuse.

That's how I've set mine, and my customers cars up with the adapters when they're going to be abused. Hopefully I've answered your question.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-10-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
In 1977 the factory eliminated the previous 2 hole option on the 400 and 301, and later on in the 265 engines, post 1976 engines only had the 3 hole late style holes beginning in the 1977 model year, Using the 1977 and later engine in a 1969 and earlier chassis does require those adapters.

I started making adapters back in 1977 before anyone sold them aftermarket. They are okay for a daily driver, but I would hesitate to use them on a car that had sticky tires on it without a limiting device. You'll need to run some type of limiter on the drivers side if you intend to use the car hard with adapters. I personally use a 3/8 inch turn buckle from the left front cylinder head area to the frame so the torque twisting motion is limited by the turnbuckle rather than the adapted mount setup. they can tend to twist the adapters after awhile with abuse.

That's how I've set mine, and my customers cars up with the adapters when they're going to be abused. Hopefully I've answered your question.
wow
could you also tell how much is for an adapter

Old 03-10-2021, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just bought the ones from Butler to put a 301 block in my 69 bird.Will report back at some time.Tom