Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 03-24-2021, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Idler arm issue

Bought all new parts for my 66 Gto, center link, idler arm, the whole nine yards, putting stuff back together and i read this in the manual...........the pic shows the print in yellow.

Have no idea on what the print is talking about, 2 .96 spacing, 100 lbs of torque on the bushing..............i have the K-5143 moog arm..........on my part on the car, no idea of what year thats from, but i cant take the idler arm apart..............so maybe someone can explain this to my dumb ood a$$.

Thanks

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Idler arm info.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	563290  

Old 03-24-2021, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The passage is for replacing the metal bushing on the factory arm. Used to be you could rebuild things. You are replacing the arm and bracket as a unit I assume.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Goatracer, im putting a new idler arm on, just got really confused after reading that stuff. lol

Odd question, but is the center link supposed to be level or anything, seems like i can get the idler arm to swing sidways up and down some..........seems i have to move it some or otherwise its hitting my sway bar.

Rich

Old 03-25-2021, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Thanks Goatracer, im putting a new idler arm on, just got really confused after reading that stuff. lol

Odd question, but is the center link supposed to be level or anything, seems like i can get the idler arm to swing sidways up and down some..........seems i have to move it some or otherwise its hitting my sway bar.

Rich
Had the same issue with my 70 El Camino. Both the idler arm and sway bar mounts allow a little (1/8" or less) free play. I had to adjust the bar mount forward (it had the slotted mounting brackets) and the idler arm to the rear to get the Moog idler to fit.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Last edited by OG68; 03-25-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The center link should be close to level. Sway bar can be moved around some to fix problem.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for those tips guys............i will looked into that sway bar movement deal, if thats a no go, maybe just easier to get a different idler ...........dont know if the one i had on the car was stock or not..........no numbers i can read, but the shaft was straight.........that doesnt sound good. lol

Rich