Old 04-02-2021, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff chmura View Post
Keith,
What product did you use?
I checked my build thread and the link has expired; it was something from the Eastwood catalog.

We also used a product called "Pliogrip" extensively on the special vehicle I worked on right before I retired.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 04-02-2021, 07:11 PM
Senior Chief

As soon as the sun hits the seam it expands the glue that why it shows.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:08 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for all the feedback
I'm going to seam the door patch under the moulding.
I'm going to seam the cab corners lower and fill the seam with filler.
The paint is black so we'll see if I get the ghosting
Thanks again, Jeff

Old 04-28-2021, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My nephew went to Autobody school. The bonded two pieces of metal and stretched them on the frame machine. The two pieces tore around the bonded pieces.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does anybody have any opinions about this particular product? https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pro...otive-adhesive

I have never used the adhesive before, but I've heard some really good things. This will be for rockers and possibly quarters(haven't decided on several small patches or just doing whole quarters) on a driver 1979 Firebird.
I could weld them if I have to. But, that would mean I wouldn't be able to do the work in my own garage(don't have much space and I have my welder at a friend's place because my current garage doesn't have 220).

Old 12-12-2021, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve used it and also Lord Fusor. Both work well. IME you have to plan where you use it as I have experienced ghosting with both when using it where / how I probably shouldn’t. They both take their own style of guns to apply. IIRC, they aren’t cheap. I’d see if I would borrow one from someone and use whichever adhesive you can get the gun for if it’s a one time job for you.

Good luck !
Murf

The Following User Says Thank You to Murf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2021, 03:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=Murf;6301881]I’ve used it and also Lord Fusor. Both work well. IME you have to plan where you use it as I have experienced ghosting with both when using it where / how I probably shouldn’t. They both take their own style of guns to apply. IIRC, they aren’t cheap. I’d see if I would borrow one from someone and use whichever adhesive you can get the gun for if it’s a one time job for you.

Good luck !
Murf[/QU

I've used a number of 3M 2 part products in the past. Hopefully one of the guns I've got from past projects is correct for this product as well.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep in mind, having used a few different brands, that the SLOWER the cure time, the STRONGER the bond. This doesn't mater much on non structural parts. The Temp MUST be at 70 at least. One huge advantage is the bonding " epoxy " has rust inhibitors, and with No air, and super clean metal, you have no condensation, NO rust.
The " glue expanding and showing" can be easily handled by a wire wheel cleaning out the Grove so there is no excess in the seam. Then use short strand filler in the groove sand,, Epoxy and finish.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Who cares about a ghost on a cab cornah…..use the adhesive ,where you can’t weld ( like between the bed and the back of the cab ) . just use the duck bill on a porta power to keep it tight overnight. Then weld up the rest

Last edited by MUSLCAH; 12-12-2021 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's amazing how much stuff I've managed to accumulate. I just went to see if I have the correct gun for the 3M product I was asking about(I do) and realized I also had a Duramix gun and 2 new tubes of adhesive(1 for plastic, 1 for metal). How long since I put them in the cabinet and forgot about them? 2007.
I wonder what the shelf life on that stuff is?

Old 12-13-2021, 10:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincampbell View Post
It's amazing how much stuff I've managed to accumulate. I just went to see if I have the correct gun for the 3M product I was asking about(I do) and realized I also had a Duramix gun and 2 new tubes of adhesive(1 for plastic, 1 for metal). How long since I put them in the cabinet and forgot about them? 2007.
I wonder what the shelf life on that stuff is?
Toss it. It’s trash.

Don

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 03:17 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Toss it. It’s trash.

Don

100% agree. I had some Fusor 2 part (acrylic based) seam sealer I used barely beyond the expiration date because I couldn’t find my new tube and was in a rush. It was a nightmare. I’m also very careful to follow the ideal storage spec’s on the package while I have it.

I’ll have to find a direct link, but the Fusor small tubes that I’ve used (sealer, bond,) have worked perfectly in the cheap generic applicator gun that’s all over Amazon. It’s usually $10-$14 depending on which name you buy it under. That cheap gun can outweigh the extra cost of 2 small tubes vs 1 larger tube.

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 03:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy11 View Post
...I’m also very careful to follow the ideal storage spec’s on the package while I have it.

I've been thinking about this a bunch as well. Since the building isn't heated, I won't be able to tackle this until next year. I figure I'll just wait until I'm close to needing it to order the 3M adhesive. Then I don't have to concern myself with proper storage.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
My nephew went to Autobody school. The bonded two pieces of metal and stretched them on the frame machine. The two pieces tore around the bonded pieces.
Yes he is right,,I did it myself years ago,, patch panels only way to go