Old 03-31-2021, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I could give Joey a call (the younger) grew up down the street from him in Germantown TN He's a year younger than me.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
They do not stand behind their roller lifters.
Ditto. When I called a couple of years ago about a bad roller lifter, the "customer service rep" ranted at me about the idiocy of retrofitting roller cams in Pontiacs.

Old 03-31-2021, 02:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I haven't dealt with Lunati much, and I have never tried to call or chat with them, but I placed an order for a Voodoo 704 camshaft on their website a couple weeks ago, and I had it within a few days, no problems at all. Sorry to hear that you had issue with them....

Old 03-31-2021, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I've called them once in regards to my Lunati lifters. This was several years ago and the gentleman I spoke with was transparent, knowledgeable and helpful. Sadly their recommendations to quiet down the lifters didn't really help.

Obviously things can and do change over the years so my experience may not be reflective of the experience somebody may receive today.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did the automated callback feature with Edelbrock instead of staying on hold. They called back, 5 hours later and rushed me off the phone

Old 04-01-2021, 11:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Did the automated callback feature with Edelbrock instead of staying on hold. They called back, 5 hours later and rushed me off the phone
How much do you think that a company has to pay a technician with enough knowledge to answer questions and educate customers on the answer to the point where you will provide a credit card number? It's way more than minimum wage. That tech has to have automotive skills, customer service skills, and IT skills and detailed product knowledge.

They also get 100 calls a day from people who have a project in their garage that they are "going to fix up someday" or are at some stage in the process where they are "gathering information" and not ready to buy. People call them all the time asking questions like kids in a high school auto-shop class and they don't have time to teach everyone nuance. Anyone expecting more than a basic recommendation needs to understand the business a little better, or educate themselves before they make the call.

Web integrated chat features suck. There is a good chance that the interface failed on those, and it wasn't the person on the other end of the line. IF it was cut off, then you probably found the point where your questions exceeded the knowledge that Lunati cams is willing to pay for on the tech service line. Camshafts are $150. Just how much margin do you think they have to pay engineers to sit and chat with people?

If anyone got "rushed off the phone" it's because you identified yourself as a non-serious customer and they didn't have time to waste on you.

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For cam recommendations I don't believe the cam manufacturer is the best place to go. Sure they sell a lot of cams but how many of those cams have they really tried in specific combos to know what they will do? I believe it's better to buy the cam from an experienced engine builder like Butler Performance, SD Performance etc. who have installed and dynoed many cams in many combos and already know which ones get the job done and which ones don't. And they have their favorites for specific combos. Even if you are using a computer program to science out a cam for your specific combo that's still theory but tried and true based on track and on the dyno testing I believe is your best bet.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
For cam recommendations I don't believe the cam manufacturer is the best place to go. Sure they sell a lot of cams but how many of those cams have they really tried in specific combos to know what they will do? I believe it's better to buy the cam from an experienced engine builder like Butler Performance, SD Performance etc. who have installed and dynoed many cams in many combos and already know which ones get the job done and which ones don't. And they have their favorites for specific combos. Even if you are using a computer program to science out a cam for your specific combo that's still theory but tried and true based on track and on the dyno testing I believe is your best bet.
I mostly agree with this. If you call Bullet Cams and talk to Tim Goolsby for example, you are talking to a guy with 30+ years of camshaft recommendation experience, and a guy who was the #2 man behind master camshaft designer Harold Brookshire. If you call Comp or Lunnati and get a random "tech" guy on the phone, he may have been flipping hamburgers at McDonnalds two days ago. The offer of a new job recommending camshafts and reading from a script for .50 cents an hour more was too much to turn down. It's all about "who" you are talking to. Another reason I strongly recommend going to the PRI show and making personal connections.