THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default The hobby seems strong here!

There is a paint stripping & rust removing joint in the south west Milwaukee suburbs that has been around at least 40 years.
It seems that they are backed up a month or two with 35 car bodies waiting to be dipped! That is crazy. Depending on the goal, a complete disassembly & then re assembly x 35 is a healthy hobby.
Here are a couple of photos from a month or so back. I suspect it is not real as the best I could tell, it had some traces of Verdoro Green that looked factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	564607   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0316.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	564608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	564609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0318.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	564610  

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 04-12-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
There is a paint stripping & rust removing joint in the south west Milwaukee suburbs that has been around at least 40 years.
It seems that they are backed up a month or two with 35 car bodies waiting to be dipped! That is crazy. Depending on the goal, a complete disassembly & then re assembly x 35 is a healthy hobby.
Here are a couple of photos from a month or so back. I suspect it is not real as the best I could tell, it had some traces of Verdoro Green that looked factory.

Is there a vin# and a trim tag? Chances of it being authentic are slim, I’ve seen most of but not all of the 689 coupes produced, but ya never know. There are a lot of what I like to refer as TA Tribute cars out there. Good luck I have a 69 myself love the one year body style birds.

I see you have a Starchief ? Please post pics. I’d love to see that.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 04-13-2021, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

35 car bodies is a lot at first glance. However this is a niche business so the geographic area from which they are drawing customers is quite large, and since this is Milwaukee, also quite densely populated, so the number may be a bit misleading.. or not?

Old 04-13-2021, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree with Andree, the business is most likely pulling from a large geographic area. When our area had a RediStrip franchise, i found them great for stripping smaller items: fenders, wheels, core supports, rear end housings. Sure hope the metal men that are about to work these cars over can get any traces of residue out of the pinch welds before they began doing metal work.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't the post-dip them in some type of neutralizer? Baking soda solution or something like that?

Old 04-13-2021, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Don't the post-dip them in some type of neutralizer? Baking soda solution or something like that?
Have had metal dipped @ two different metal stripping businesses, both now long out of business. The more organized was a RediStrip franchise. It used a heated dip tank that an electrical charge was run through. There was something in the tank, I never asked, but I bet caustic soda. This facility had an overhead crane hoist & a car body would be lifted out of the first tank. Allowed to drip into the tank, then was placed into another tank to help neutralize the original solution. Once the body shell or say, a hood, was removed from the second tank, the item was placed on a cart & power washed. If the item(s) were going to set for some time the metal was then sprayed with a sticky green glycol based solution which was a pain to wash & scrub off.

The '68 GTO body & a '67 Mustang fastback body's that I saw after they came back from that particular RediStrip franchise, I would have never considered having dipped. The '68 GTO body shell in particular was just too clean a body. From earlier taken pics, just a dead paint, mild surface rust body.
At the time, there was a big difference in mild rusted bodys from Southwest/Southern Plains cars & the rot boxes I occasionally came across that were driven down here often so owners could work in the mid 70's to early '80's Oil Boom. That "Boom" brought a ton of folks & what would be cheap parts cars to OK & TX.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Our media blaster is always swamped

Old 04-13-2021, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did photograph the vin & could post it up right here but that seems like poor form. Sometimes the private & secure interweb just doesn't keep it's secrets!
That car had a great deal of decent metal work done at one time, I hope it turns out even better this time.
And even if those cars come from a 200 mile radius, things are still hoppin'.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 04-13-2021, 03:13 PM

Check out this web site for info. The VIN you messaged me appears to be for a 69 Firebird coupe, check out hitmans site in the link I posted. You said there’s verdoro green overspray in places, Verdoro green would be code Q on your trim tag on the firewall, if it was indeed Verdoro green and not Cameo White.

https://www.78ta.com/Pages/1969.htm

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl