Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Being rich with alcohol is no problem.
Being just a little lean can be very expensive, especially with a blower.

Better to err on it being rich.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-01-2021, 01:46 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
... My front cylinders get more air from the blower, so I run bigger fuel nozzles in the front cylinders than the back ones...
My 6-71 blown M/T hemi V8 was especially bad in that respect, since the equally-spaced intake ports caused #7 & #8 to be much further back than a normal Pontiac. I improved the airflow distribution- not a lot, but significantly- by swapping the rotors side-for-side, to tend to "blow" toward the rear instead of the front.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:50 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
My 6-71 blown M/T hemi V8 was especially bad in that respect, since the equally-spaced intake ports caused #7 & #8 to be much further back than a normal Pontiac. I improved the airflow distribution- not a lot, but significantly- by swapping the rotors side-for-side, to tend to "blow" toward the rear instead of the front.
The Blower Shop mentioned that to me.

GTO George

Old 03-11-2021, 03:01 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
George What was the 60 foot time on that run and on the 7.98 run? Based on the little information from both runs I would think that your 60 foot times have improved.

Stan
My 7.98 pass.....like i said it spun the tires and didn't run top end, wasn't a good pass.

GTO George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00AB5FE1-BBBA-4829-933F-BCE3FA517D05_1_105_c.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	562487  

Old 03-23-2021, 04:48 PM
Suspended

Well getting closer....small steps. I sent my Systems One cast aluminum oil filter housing to get coated (Rad Coatings)......looks pretty good!

GTO George
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4DB49AFB-93B4-4B1D-93C4-5E71C4C787AA.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	563197   Click image for larger version

Name:	57C4BCC5-6F50-4793-A8B9-4C9D4F576B48.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	563198  

Old 04-09-2021, 12:02 PM
Suspended

Getting ready for this year.......just had my NHRA License renewed also I have a NHRA tech guy coming over my house to re-cert my race car. It's cheaper then taking my car somewhere to have it done. Im still waiting on The Blower Shop to get back with me on when I can expect my 8-71 Supercharger. Getting closer tripping down the Drag Strip....Memorial Weekend at Mi-Michigan!!!

GTO George

Old 04-09-2021, 12:20 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Kinda funny how some people or articles say there engine are making 1,200, 1,300 or 1,400 hp but its takes them 18-25 lbs of boost to do it and or how much money it took them to make it.......LOL!

GTO George
Racing Boost again George. You make me smile on this beautiful spring day.
As many know, Chief runs a smaller engine than you, you both run alcohol, he runs a bit more boost vs your "large engine low boost" combination and runs low sixes and you run high 7s. It is all about the combination. Just to remind you Marty went into the 6s in 1996 with a 406 engine 1600 hp engine, and 30 psi of boost, (not 50 psi of boost) and he had less money in his engine than you have in your Roots blown engine, modified fabricated Pontiac Tunnel Ram intake, 3.75 stroke crank, cast iron heads, and a very basic (early design) fuel injection. His two throttle bodies flowed less air vs your twin dominators but made more power. Tom Earhart is in the Motorsports Hall of Fame. His dyno was deadly accurate on many dyno tests, (Ford even contracted to run some tests on it) so if he said Marty's engine made 1600 hp, the number was accurate no matter how you want to spin it in your mind. Facts speak louder vs BS.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 04-09-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:24 PM
Suspended

Go Home!! LOL!

GTO George

Old 04-09-2021, 12:29 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Go Home!! LOL!

GTO George
LOL I am HOME on this beautiful day and enjoying retirement.
Have a good day George.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:51 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Racing Boost again George. You make me smile on this beautiful spring day.
As many know, Chief runs a smaller engine than you, you both run alcohol, he runs a bit more boost vs your "large engine low boost" combination and runs low sixes and you run high 7s. It is all about the combination. Just to remind you Marty went into the 6s in 1996 with a 406 engine 1600 hp engine, and 30 psi of boost, (not 50 psi of boost) and he had less money in his engine than you have in your Roots blown engine, modified fabricated Pontiac Tunnel Ram intake, 3.75 stroke crank, cast iron heads, and a very basic (early design) fuel injection. His two throttle bodies flowed less air vs your twin dominators but made more power. Tom Earhart is in the Motorsports Hall of Fame. His dyno was deadly accurate on many dyno tests, (Ford even contracted to run some tests on it) so if he said Marty's engine made 1600 hp, the number was accurate no matter how you want to spin it in your mind. Facts speak louder vs BS.

Tom V.
Ok........i know I shouldn't but here it goes. Your whole post IS WRONG, Boost IS HP the more boost normally the more HP.
I only am running 12-13 lbs of boost (this year a bit more with a more EFFICIENT 8-71), my engine is made to go 9,10,11,12 passes "a day" if needed.....it'll run 7.90's without a sweat at 170. I do buy the BEST parts because I don't want it to break, can't go rounds and WIN Races if its on the trailer! Chief runs BIG time boost and Nitro in his fuel cell.....FACT! My old Jurassic 8-71 takes a lot of HP to spin and isn't very efficient but its what I choose to run. As for Marty i guarantee you I've put more passes on my engine/car then he has ever.......hense the MORE money. 20 lbs of boost more is 600 HP or so difference and he made what? LOL!
Nice Try!

GTO George

Old 04-09-2021, 01:49 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Ok........My old Jurassic 8-71 takes a lot of HP to spin and isn't very efficient but its what I choose to run.
GTO George
That comment is the only part of your last past (and this is my last post in this thread on the subject): "That is what I choose to run". The rest of your post is just words that no one cares about, including me.

Have a nice day George.

Tom V.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:57 PM
Suspended

I new you had nothing!
No one may care but this thread has almost 30,000 views.....just saying! LOL!
More posts to come!

GTO George

Old 04-10-2021, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I new you had nothing!
No one may care but this thread has almost 30,000 views.....just saying! LOL!
More posts to come!

GTO George
Keep the posts coming George!

No one cares about the BS comments made by big ego people. Been working on my 671 blown Safari, always looking at others who run roots blowers for ideas. Don’t care about turbos, don’t care about making maximum HP, don’t care how fast my car goes, don’t care how fast anyone else ran, just love roots blowers and that’s what I want. Period.

Rob

Old 04-13-2021, 03:13 PM
Suspended

Just got my car recerted, kinda funny how he wanted to check a couple of bars even though he was the one that vetted my car last time. My wife and I will replace the valve seals this weekend. All I’m waiting on is my high helix supercharger. First race is Memorial weekend.....a 3 day bracket race with a Quick 8 thrown in!

GTO George

Old 04-19-2021, 10:23 AM
Suspended

Yesterday I was changing the valve seals and found a broken split valve lock..........time to change them all! im also going to change out the lash caps. also next year im going to replace my aluminum rods so im thinking of going with fire rings in the block........just thinking!

GTO George

Old 04-24-2021, 02:44 PM
Suspended

I have all the valve seals replaced, tomorrow I’ll change the valve split locks. While putting air into the cylinders I noticed no7 leaking down around 26%.....
I’ll start it up Tuesday and take another leak down test, if it’s the same I’ll pull the head and see what’s up. I’ll probably have to relap the intake valve back in!

GTO George

Old 04-29-2021, 06:52 PM
Suspended

Got it back together took another leak down test with no.7 cylinder and still the same so I removed the head to re-lap the intake valve back in. Good news is the new studs I put in seem to be working great.......nuts came right off the studs with no problems and no leakage of combustion gasses anywhere!! Ran can all year.....cool!

GTO George

Old 05-01-2021, 10:42 AM
Suspended

Lapped my no.7 intake valve in and it’s sealing now.....like I said before it was leaking 20-25% before. Now my heads studs worked out great, before when I would remove the stud nuts they would take the stud with it, then I would have try and remove the nut and put a die on the stud threads to get them back to normal......I’m assuming the stud would be stretching at the treads when the head was lifting under boost. Well with these studs the nuts came right off and I could screw them back on the stud by hand!!!! WE NEED A BETTER STUD! The ones I have are from Outfront Motorsports but they had to be cut down to come close to fitting BUT like I said worked GREAT!
I’ll be putting my head back on Sunday....my new high helix blower from “The Blower Shop” was shipped and should be here Wednesday.

GTO George

Old 05-01-2021, 01:51 PM
Suspended

ARP 8740 stud and the new Outfront studs made out of ARP2000 material!

GTO George
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9D667732-AB35-4C2D-B5D9-A50935DC22CF_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	565755  

Old 05-03-2021, 01:26 PM
Suspended

Putting my cylinder head on yesterday I installed my head gasket I realized tha it had stretched..............WTF! I put it on the one dowel pin then tried to put it on the other pin and the only way it would work if I bowed the gasket in the middle? SCE copper with the as ring in it. Like an idiot I put it together and torqued it down, I’ll remove head today and order a new gasket.

GTO George

Closed Thread