Old 09-28-2020, 02:58 PM
Senior Chief

Default '63 Tempest Radio Speaker

The radio doesn't work in my car, so while working on wiring anyway, I pulled it to check things out. It is completely missing the speaker! I'm guessing there is a mounting bracket involved as well. Can anyone please let me know if these used the standard 4"x10" speaker with a special bracket? I can find a new 10Ω speaker no problem, but the bracket is another story.

Also, pulled the cover off the radio - it is a hybrid design with four vacuum tubes in the tuner and AF section and then a standard DS-503 output transistor. I will probably re-cap it and try to get it going just for the novelty. I think it is a '61 radio #989792.

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 09-28-2020, 05:10 PM
Senior Chief

Here’s a picture of the speaker location from underneath. I assume a bracket attaches to the two studs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2396C3DF-ACBE-45D5-8A4D-7186B2E9FBFB.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	550502  

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 09-30-2020, 02:57 PM
Senior Chief

I had trouble with the speaker also. To use a standard 10 x 4 speaker, I had to fabricate a bracket. The 63 speaker had an odd mounting pattern and even if you did have the bracket, it wouldn't fit.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:08 PM
Senior Chief

I purchased a bracket and will report back once I have it and attempt to install the speaker.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The newer speakers have a bigger magnet so it won't fit the bracket. I modified mine to fit but haven't tried it yet.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:04 AM
Senior Chief

This is the speaker I plan to use. They are currently out of stock, but expecting more in a couple of weeks. Their unit is pretty much identical to factory and they say it will fit the bracket.

http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

BTW - this is currently up for auction. Looking at the kit contents, it looks like there is a grill board attached to the face of the speaker which makes sense so it will totally cover the sound slots punched in the dashboard. It could be that extra thickness is needed for the bracket to fit properly? Any takers? Not me...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Rad...gAAOSwTd9fVqY1

Old 10-01-2020, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That NOS radio kit is cool to see. Has to be scarce!

Hope your speaker and bracket drop in for you hassle-free.

Old 10-01-2020, 10:36 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
That NOS radio kit is cool to see. Has to be scarce!

Hope your speaker and bracket drop in for you hassle-free.
It is pretty cool, but I question the NOS status of the radio. The box says push-button and that is a manual-tune. I think someone bought the kit to upgrade their manual tune radio, and probably only swapped the radio itself since all the other stuff wasn't needed.

Old 10-01-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekuhn View Post
This is the speaker I plan to use. They are currently out of stock, but expecting more in a couple of weeks. Their unit is pretty much identical to factory and they say it will fit the bracket.

http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

BTW - this is currently up for auction. Looking at the kit contents, it looks like there is a grill board attached to the face of the speaker which makes sense so it will totally cover the sound slots punched in the dashboard. It could be that extra thickness is needed for the bracket to fit properly? Any takers? Not me...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Rad...gAAOSwTd9fVqY1
I have a 4x10 that I bought from them for my TA. I did not use it as I elected to take my original and have it rebuilt. I'd sell if for $50 shipped.

If that helps, you can PM me for my contact info.

Tim

Old 10-03-2020, 01:42 AM
Senior Chief

When installing my new speaker I ordered a 4 Pack of 1/4-20 X 7/8" Long Hex Coupling Nuts on Ebay for less than $5. That lowered the speaker mount to allow room for the taller magnet. I have an extra speaker bracket if needed (and the extra 2 nuts)

Old 10-03-2020, 02:28 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduners View Post
When installing my new speaker I ordered a 4 Pack of 1/4-20 X 7/8" Long Hex Coupling Nuts on Ebay for less than $5. That lowered the speaker mount to allow room for the taller magnet. I have an extra speaker bracket if needed (and the extra 2 nuts)
Thank you for the offer, but I already have one on the way.